Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish cards not shown

Lucas Eichhorn

May 24, 2022, 1:56:24 AM5/24/22
to mnemosyne-proj-users
See the attached screenshot. Mnemosyne starts but the card is not shown. Only a blank page with “Answer” in the left middle part. I already installed mnemosyne manually.
Anyone else experience this? What could I do?
Bildschirmfoto vom 2022-05-24 06-24-49.png

Peter Bienstman

May 24, 2022, 2:49:57 AM5/24/22
to mnemosyne-proj-users
What happens if you (re)move config.db? It could be that an upgrade of the GUI library caused the saved window sizes to become invalid...

Is the problem solved if you use Ubuntu's official Mnemosyne package? If not, then you should contact the Ubuntu developers of the Mnemosyne package.

Cheers,

Peter

Lucas Eichhorn

May 24, 2022, 4:23:43 AM5/24/22
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Removing config.db does not change anything. I had the problem when I upgraded to 22.04. But the problem persits when I removed the folder, uninstalled mnemosyne and reinstalled it both from official packages or manually.

Peter Bienstman

May 24, 2022, 4:26:55 AM5/24/22
to mnemosyne-proj-users
If you also have it with the official Ubuntu packages, then I suggest you contact the Ubuntu developers. I suspect an upgrade to Qt broke things in 22.04. Perhaps there is a message in the console which is suspicious and gives a clue. Alternatively, downgrading Qt might also help.

Peter

Lucas Eichhorn

May 30, 2022, 12:36:49 AM5/30/22
to mnemosyne-proj-users
The message that shows up when I lauch mnemosyne from the console is only:
Warning: Could not import OpenGL. Might cause a black screen on some Linux distributions. Try installing python3-opengl in that case.
And I don't think that's a clue here. (?)

Quick question: How do I properly uninstall a manually installed version? I want to install the official package version to then maybe file an official bug with it.

Thanks!

Peter Bienstman

May 30, 2022, 11:04:37 AM5/30/22
to mnemosyne-proj-users
The files are stored in the site-packages directory of your Mnemosyne install. If you want to know exactly where that is on your particular system, just reinstall from source, and it will print all the files it installs.

Peter

Lucas Eichhorn

Jun 2, 2022, 2:37:17 AM6/2/22
to mnemosyne-proj-users
I filed a bug report after installing it from official packages. Waiting.

I also installed version 2.7.3 (after removing the official package version). Before I had some problem with 2.8 (didn't look too much into it) and then it worked with version 2.7.3. Now the problem still persists, even with the older version. Seems to me like it has to do with the Ubuntu version. I'm curious if anybody else with Ubuntu 22.04 has this problem.

Lucas Eichhorn

Jul 13, 2022, 9:28:32 AM7/13/22
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi,
no sign yet from developers, and I would really like to have mnemosyne back. You mentioned Qt. Do you have an idea towards that?

Or an alternative solution of what I can do instead to get some version of mnemosyne running?

Regarding Qt: the python packages I have installed are:
(mnemo) lucas@jarvis42:~$ pip list
Package              Version
-------------------- -----------
argon2-cffi          21.3.0
argon2-cffi-bindings 21.2.0
certifi              2022.5.18.1
cffi                 1.15.0
chardet              3.0.4
charset-normalizer   2.0.12
cheroot              8.6.0
click                8.1.3
cycler               0.11.0
fonttools            4.33.3
googletrans          3.0.0
gTTS                 2.2.4
h11                  0.9.0
h2                   3.2.0
hpack                3.0.0
hstspreload          2021.12.1
httpcore             0.9.1
httpx                0.13.3
hyperframe           5.2.0
idna                 2.10
jaraco.functools     3.5.0
kiwisolver           1.4.3
matplotlib           3.5.2
Mnemosyne            2.9
more-itertools       8.13.0
numpy                1.22.4
packaging            21.3
Pillow               9.1.1
pip                  21.2.4
pycparser            2.21
pyparsing            3.0.6
PyQt5                5.15.6
PyQt5-Qt5            5.15.2
PyQt5-sip            12.9.0
PyQtWebEngine        5.15.5
PyQtWebEngine-Qt5    5.15.2
python-dateutil      2.8.2
requests             2.28.0
rfc3986              1.5.0
setuptools           59.4.0
sip                  6.4.0
six                  1.16.0
sniffio              1.2.0
toml                 0.10.2
urllib3              1.26.9
WebOb                1.8.7
wheel                0.37.1

And the Ubuntu packages I have installed regarding qt are:
(mnemo) lucas@jarvis42:~$ apt list --installed | grep qt
WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.
avidemux-plugins-qt/jammy,now 1:2.8.0-2~xtradeb2 amd64  [Installiert,automatisch]
avidemux-qt-data/jammy,jammy,now 1:2.8.0-2~xtradeb2 all  [Installiert,automatisch]
avidemux-qt/jammy,now 1:2.8.0-2~xtradeb2 amd64  [installiert]
gnuplot-qt/jammy,now 5.4.2+dfsg2-2 amd64  [Installiert,automatisch]
libavidemux6-qt/jammy,now 1:2.8.0-2~xtradeb2 amd64  [Installiert,automatisch]
libpoppler-qt5-1/jammy,now 22.02.0-2 amd64  [Installiert,automatisch]
libqt5concurrent5/jammy,now 5.15.3+dfsg-2 amd64  [Installiert,automatisch]
libqt5core5a/jammy,now 5.15.3+dfsg-2 amd64  [Installiert,automatisch]
libqt5dbus5/jammy,now 5.15.3+dfsg-2 amd64  [Installiert,automatisch]
libqt5gui5/jammy,now 5.15.3+dfsg-2 amd64  [Installiert,automatisch]
libqt5network5/jammy,now 5.15.3+dfsg-2 amd64  [Installiert,automatisch]
libqt5printsupport5/jammy,now 5.15.3+dfsg-2 amd64  [Installiert,automatisch]
libqt5sql5-sqlite/jammy,now 5.15.3+dfsg-2 amd64  [Installiert,automatisch]
libqt5sql5/jammy,now 5.15.3+dfsg-2 amd64  [Installiert,automatisch]
libqt5svg5/jammy,now 5.15.3-1 amd64  [Installiert,automatisch]
libqt5widgets5/jammy,now 5.15.3+dfsg-2 amd64  [Installiert,automatisch]
libqt5x11extras5/jammy,now 5.15.3-1 amd64  [Installiert,automatisch]
libqt5xml5/jammy,now 5.15.3+dfsg-2 amd64  [Installiert,automatisch]
qt5-gtk-platformtheme/jammy,now 5.15.3+dfsg-2 amd64  [Installiert,automatisch]
qttranslations5-l10n/jammy,jammy,now 5.15.3-1 all  [Installiert,automatisch]
transmission-qt/jammy,now 3.00-2ubuntu2 amd64  [installiert]

Thanks!

Peter Bienstman

Jul 13, 2022, 10:47:12 AM7/13/22
to mnemosyne-proj-users
You could try to downgrade Qt to the version that was used in the previous Ubuntu release, but that's probably tricky.

Alternatively, perhaps the Windows installer runs under Wine?

Peter

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "mnemosyne-proj-users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/545a59a8-e97c-4f10-861a-a2cccddb3f2en%40googlegroups.com.

MTSowbug

Dec 2, 2022, 4:40:22 PM12/2/22
to mnemosyne-proj-users
I'd like to follow-up on the "cards not shown" issue with Mnemosyne on Ubuntu. I too experienced this problem on a new Jammy Jellyfish installation, and I was having great difficulty fixing it. However, downgrading Qt as per Peter's suggestion did indeed fix my problem. My initial PyQt package configuration, that was incompatible with Mnemosyne, was:

>pip list | grep PyQt
PyQt5              5.15.7
PyQt5-Qt5          5.15.2
PyQt5-sip          12.11.0
PyQtWebEngine      5.15.6
PyQtWebEngine-Qt5  5.15.2

I uninstalled and downgraded packages until I eventually reached a configuration where Mnemosyne would once again show cards. The working configuration I found is:

>pip list | grep PyQt
PyQt5              5.15.6
PyQt5-sip          12.9.1
PyQtWebEngine      5.15.5

Note that uninstalling "PyQtWebEngine-Qt5" and "PyQt5-Qt5" was insufficient to make Mnemosyne work. I found it necessary to both uninstall those two packages and downgrade the remaining three.

I hope this proves useful for any other Mnemosyne users on Ubuntu.

Peter Bienstman

Dec 2, 2022, 4:41:41 PM12/2/22
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Great, thanks for reporting back!