Change suggestion in tag dropdown menu!

leinad....@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2020, 3:40:10 AM9/23/20
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Dear Developers!

I like to ask for a small change in the behavior of the dropdown menu of the tag bar. I rarely use words that start with an capital letter as tags. Hence it's always again annoying to see no suggestion for previously edit tags if I forget to put the first letter I type in capital letter mode.

As seen in the attached picture, I use a lot of tags that start with the capital letter "S" but none that start with a small "s".

Even though I realize the in other languages but German it is much less frequent to start words with an capital letter I still think everybody would benefit from this change because its the same behavior the other way as well.

So my suggestion is to show all previously edited words in the dropdown menu of the tag bar that start with the same initial letters no matter whether it starts with a capital letter or not.

Please consider

Thanks a lot 4 all your Work

Take care * Daniel
change_suggestion.png

Peter Bienstman

Sep 23, 2020, 7:02:52 AM9/23/20
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the suggestion! I did not write that particular piece of
code, but I'll look into it.

Cheers,

Peter

Peter Bienstman

Oct 13, 2020, 7:22:08 AM10/13/20
to mnemosyne-proj-users

leinad....@gmail.com

Oct 29, 2020, 8:58:07 AM10/29/20
to mnemosyne-proj-users
I installed it today and now I get occasionally the attached error. Might be unrelated but it did not happen ever before.
fehler.jpg
fehler2.jpg

Peter Bienstman

Oct 29, 2020, 3:44:17 PM10/29/20
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
The errors indicate some issues with the Google translate servers. If you make too many requests in a short time, you end up on a black list for a while.

I would wait until tomorrow and see if it comes back, otherwise let me know.

Cheers,

Peter

leinad....@gmail.com

Oct 30, 2020, 3:27:01 PM10/30/20
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Okay, it happens over and over again. Mnemosyne crashes about every 7-10th card when using the text 2 speech plugin.

I switche back to 2.7.2. now.

There is a noticeable difference in the behavior. While 2.7.2 just wails for google to comply, to above posted version just crashes after 2-3 seconds, like it is not willing to wait.

Peter Bienstman

Oct 31, 2020, 4:09:37 AM10/31/20
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
The code to communicate with Google Translate is not something I wrote myself, so we're depending on the developers of that library (py-googletrans). I've double-checked it, and it seems I occasionally also have problems now with Google Translate, although the error I get is different:

The developer is aware of it, and will hopefully fix it soon.

Are you sure Google Translate works completely without problems in Mnemosyne 2.7.2? It's possible that that version uses a slightly older version of the library, so if that version works without problems, it's useful information for the py-googletrans developers.

Cheers,

Peter

Peter Bienstman

Oct 31, 2020, 4:15:41 AM10/31/20
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Sorry, I was a bit thrown off by the fact that the error mentioned the google translate server. I see now that you are actually using Google-to-Speech.

That's a different library, but also this one has been having problems recently, with exactly the errors you reported:

https://github.com/pndurette/gTTS/issues/226

If it really works reliably with the version bundled in Mnemosyne 2.7.2 that would still be very useful information if you can confirm it, but it seems more likely that Google changed something on their end which causes problems with the gTTS and the py-googletrans libraries...

Peter Bienstman

Nov 11, 2020, 2:38:22 PM11/11/20
to mnemosyne-proj-users

leinad....@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2020, 11:43:58 AM11/14/20
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Alright! I tested It now 4 a couple of days without any problem. Thanks a lot again. And I agree with "W N" from the "Google Text to Speech" thread that with the dedicated shortcut 4 the  "Insert Google text-to-speach..." function. I use this plugin A LOT!

Peter Bienstman

Nov 16, 2020, 1:13:32 PM11/16/20
to mnemosyne-proj-users
> And I agree with "W N" from the "Google Text to Speech" thread that with the dedicated shortcut 4 the  "Insert Google text-to-speach..." function.

Your wish is my command:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r6zw1l9w5cnldkp/mnemosyne-2.7.3-setup.exe?dl=0

Enjoy,

Peter