Application appears blurry on a new device

grahamsnu...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2018, 3:38:18 AM8/23/18
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi all,

I've been using Mnemosyne 2.4.1 for a little over a year on a Macbook Air; I just recently moved to a MacBook Pro with a higher screen resolution and brought all my data along. Every other application works as normal, but all text and graphics on Mnemosyne appear blurry and low-res for some reason (even the close/minimize/maximize buttons on the top left of the window). I'm not sure why this is; it doesn't seem to change when I quit and reopen the application.

Both laptops (old and new) are running macOS High Sierra version 10.13.1; the screen changed from 1440x900 to 2800x1800.

Peter Bienstman

Aug 23, 2018, 3:41:48 AM8/23/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

For devices with these high-res displays, you need to upgrade to a more recent version of Mnemosyne.

Cheers,

Peter

Drake Thomas

Aug 23, 2018, 3:58:06 AM8/23/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the speedy reply! I downloaded Mnemosyne 2.6.1, but I’m seeing the same thing in the new version. Here’s a screenshot of the about page, with blurred text.
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "mnemosyne-proj-users" group.

Screenshot 2018-08-22 23.57.41.png

Peter Bienstman

Aug 23, 2018, 4:23:18 AM8/23/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, Devin Howard (devin@callysto.com)

Hi,

The screenshot doesn’t look blurry to me, but that doesn’t mean a lot J

Perhaps you can try adding the command line option --disable-high-dpi-scaling

This page also talks about making changes to Info.plist:  http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/highdpi.html . I’ve put our Mac packager Devin in CC, as I don’t have access to an OSX device and have no idea about info.plist.

Cheers,

Peter

Devin Howard

Sep 9, 2018, 7:38:56 PM9/9/18
to Peter Bienstman, mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately I'm also not much help, since I don't have a Retina display. It should be possible to right-click the Mnemosyne application bundle, select Show Package Contents, and then edit the Info.plist file inside the Contents directory to update as described in the QT documentation Peter provided. If it works, let me know. In theory I should update the Info.plist as part of the next version of Mnemosyne so this fix is applied to all users, but I haven't found a way to test the changes yet.

Drake Thomas

Sep 9, 2018, 10:34:09 PM9/9/18
to Peter Bienstman, mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Devin,

I added the lines in that link to the Info.plist file, saved, quit Mnemosyne, and reopened, and didn’t see any change.

(I was worried that maybe I wasn’t seeing any change because I hadn’t done a hard enough reset for the contents of Info.plist to be rechecked, so I also tried saving Info.plist as a blank text file. This made Mnemosyne stop working, so it seems that changes I made to the file were in fact being propagated to the application - they just didn’t affect the display.)

Dan Schmidt

Oct 16, 2018, 8:59:27 AM10/16/18
to mnemosyne-proj-users
I just checked in on the mailing list for the first time in a while and saw this thread. For what it's worth:
 - I agree that your screenshot is blurry!
 - On my MacBook Pro, High Sierra 10.13.6, Mnemosyne 2.6.1, adding the following four lines at the end of the body of the <dict> tag in /Applications/Mnemosyne.app/Contents/ produced crisp output for me:

        <key>NSPrincipalClass</key>
        <string>NSApplication</string>
        <key>NSHighResolutionCapable</key>
        <string>True</string>

I realize that you probably already tried this, but maybe you did something slightly different, and in any case it's useful to have another data point.

Dan

Dan Schmidt

Oct 16, 2018, 9:00:04 AM10/16/18
to mnemosyne-proj-users
That's /Applications/Mnemosyne.app/Contents/Info.plist, of course.

Drake Thomas

Oct 16, 2018, 1:20:44 PM10/16/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan!

I inserted exactly those lines into Info.plist on Mnemosyne 2.6.1, and I didn’t see any change in resolution; attached is the Info.plist file my copy of Mnemosyne 2.6.1 is currently using. (I’ve also got the old application version on my desktop, since the upgrade didn’t replace it, but since the display issue was present prior to upgrading I would be surprised if that had any effect).

Info.plist

Drake Thomas

Nov 21, 2018, 1:17:42 AM11/21/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
An update, for anyone in the future who encounters this issue: having upgraded to macOS Mojave, the problem’s resolved itself.

Peter Bienstman

Nov 21, 2018, 3:47:29 AM11/21/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for getting back to us to let this know!

Peter