next rep date

Karen

Apr 26, 2021, 12:46:01 PM4/26/21
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Can the next rep date for a card be reset?   I've been away from my Japanese for a while and in browsing cards many of the next rep dates are years away.  I want to change some of them to a closer date.   Otherwise, I think I can just delete the old card and create a new card as a new card and won't that start a new (closer) rep date?

Bithov Vinu Student

Apr 26, 2021, 3:44:48 PM4/26/21
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
This isn't really advised - generally it's better to have the mindset of "the algorithm knows better" - the algorithm behind Mnemosyne is well researched and evidence based.

You can reset the dates for cards, not through Mnemosyne, but by modifying the card database using SQLite - though this is incredibly dangerous and may result in years of progress being lost. Also, this method requires a fair bit of technical fluency, at the very least, you ought to have used some SQLite - there isn't really any other way as far as I know.

Of course, if you're certain that you want to reset the dates, I could help, but I'd have to know how technically savvy you are before.

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021, 17:46 'Karen' via mnemosyne-proj-users, <mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Can the next rep date for a card be reset?   I've been away from my Japanese for a while and in browsing cards many of the next rep dates are years away.  I want to change some of them to a closer date.   Otherwise, I think I can just delete the old card and create a new card as a new card and won't that start a new (closer) rep date?

Student Account
Calday Grange Grammar School is a charitable company limited by guarantee and registered in England and Wales with company number 8332696.
The Registered Office is at Grammar School Lane, West Kirby, Wirral, CH48 8GG

Peter Bienstman

Apr 26, 2021, 3:46:12 PM4/26/21
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
If you really want to reset some cards, export them to the *.cards format, delete them, and reimport.

Peter

Karen

Apr 26, 2021, 3:58:34 PM4/26/21
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Not the least tech-savvy.  And I do have lots of cards.  So, on the ones I can tell I need sooner than several years! I'll just add them in as a new card.
Thanks.

Oisín Mac Fhearaí

Apr 30, 2021, 5:43:18 AM4/30/21
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
But the dates are years away because you probably know those cards quite well already.
I think people tend to worry that they'll forget the cards because the next review date is unrealistic, but if there's a ton of cards then resetting them all is probably just creating extra "fake work" that slows progress on learning new stuff.