Unusual uses of spaced repetition: learning notes

Gwern Branwen

Sep 7, 2012, 2:44:51 PM9/7/12
to Mnemosyne mailing list
"Perfect Pitch (Absolute Pitch) training with Mnemosyne (spaced
repetition software)" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3F7cTEL4b8

--
gwern
http://www.gwern.net

Michael Campbell

Sep 8, 2012, 10:45:33 PM9/8/12
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
I couldn't get the sound to play after adding a card with one of these
mp3 files... I'm sure I'm doing it wrong, but I used the "insert
sound" key, and it did (if memory serves; at a different computer):

<audio src="a.mp3" />

Am I doing something incorrectly?

Gwern Branwen

Sep 8, 2012, 10:48:37 PM9/8/12
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 10:45 PM, Michael Campbell
<michael....@unixgeek.com> wrote:
> Am I doing something incorrectly?

Maybe you're not specifying the path right? Like the sound file being
in a subfolder. Also, I didn't know the tags could be closed. My audio
tags just look like

<audio src="english/archimandrite.ogg">

But then, I type them in by hand.

--
gwern
http://www.gwern.net

Michael Campbell

Sep 8, 2012, 11:06:02 PM9/8/12
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Gwern; I'll give it another go tomorrow.

I have to admit I'm a bit ignorant on menmosyne 2.x; I thought that it
was copying the media locally from wherever it was originally. I'll
check to see the path in the "local" mnemo directory matches the card.

Peter Bienstman

Sep 9, 2012, 2:43:03 AM9/9/12
Quoting "Michael Campbell" <michael....@unixgeek.com>:

> Thanks Gwern; I'll give it another go tomorrow.
>
> I have to admit I'm a bit ignorant on menmosyne 2.x; I thought that it
> was copying the media locally from wherever it was originally. I'll
> check to see the path in the "local" mnemo directory matches the card.

If you use 'insert sound', mnemosyne will certainly not insert '/>',
so perhaps you typed it manually?

Media files will indeed be copied to Mnemosyne's own media folder upon
inserting them.

Peter

Michael Campbell

Sep 9, 2012, 10:05:54 PM9/9/12
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Ok, the problem is with the file itself. The tag is correct per
Peter's mail (I was going from memory), and the file is in the mnemo
directory where I expected it, but it just doesn't play.

I'll re-download the zip and see if that's the issue.

Michael Campbell

Sep 9, 2012, 10:20:10 PM9/9/12
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
And, it was. Might have messed up the password the first time.
Message has been deleted

cor...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2017, 7:44:47 PM7/3/17
to mnemosyne-proj-users
I have tried this and it works with non-sharp/flat files, but when I upload those with sharps and flats, it does not sound, and says, "file name contains "#" with could cause problems on some operating systems." Any work-arounds?

Peter Bienstman

Jul 4, 2017, 3:39:22 AM7/4/17
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com

Best to rename these files and the references to them in your cards so that they don’t contain “#” J

Peter

Cory Jorgensen

Jul 4, 2017, 4:50:28 PM7/4/17
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, of course. Simple. Thanks.

On Friday, September 7, 2012 at 2:44:51 PM UTC-4, gwern branwen wrote:

"Perfect Pitch (Absolute Pitch) training with Mnemosyne (spaced
repetition software)" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3F7cTEL4b8

> At first, begin with two tones(flashcards). Then increase tones(flashcards) gradually. mp3 download available: http://chessdata.blogspot.com/2012/08/perfect-pitch-absolute-pitch-training.html password: http://chessdata.blogspot.com

--
gwern
http://www.gwern.net

Cory Jorgensen
Assistant Professor of Arabic
Dept. of Classical & Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations
The George Washington University

Phillips Hall 335
801 22nd St., NW
Washington, DC 20052