updating answers without losing user data

Ben Crowell

Oct 24, 2021, 10:34:26 AM10/24/21
to mnemosyne-proj-users
I have a deck that I created in the form of a .tsv file and then imported. If I update some answers or add some cards to the .tsv file, is it possible to get these improvements into mnemosyne's sqlite database without losing the relevant user data, which are keyed to the unchanged questions? So far I've just been doing rm -Rf ~/.local/share/mnemosyne and starting fresh, but that's obviously undesirable.

Thanks!

Ben

Peter Bienstman

Oct 24, 2021, 4:19:17 PM10/24/21
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi,

The *.cards format supports this, because it also stores card ids, but you cannot do that importing tsv files.

Cheers,

Peter

Ben Crowell

Oct 24, 2021, 9:24:57 PM10/24/21
to mnemosyne-proj-users
I see, thanks for the reply.

It's not hard to convert .tsv to .cards:

1. rm -Rf ~/mnemosyne_temp && mkdir ~/mnemosyne_temp && mnemosyne -d ~/mnemosyne_temp

2. Import the .tsv.

3. Export as .cards.

Now I can restart mnemosyne with my normal, default database directory, and import the .cards file. However, this doesn't seem to overwrite the answers. When I use the deck, the answers I see are the old ones.

I can do this:

sqlite3 ~/.local/share/mnemosyne/default.db .dump

The resulting dump seems to show that both the old answers and the new answers are still in the database. It seems like when I run mnemosyne, it only finds the old answer.

Peter Bienstman

Oct 25, 2021, 12:33:12 AM10/25/21
to mnemosyne-proj-users
You should export starting from your real database, not a fresh one, otherwise the ids don't match.

Any reason why you can't edit the cards inside Mnemosyne?

Peter