Mnemosyne crashes if I use (de)activate cards menu

sadk...@gmail.com

Apr 4, 2021, 10:23:26 AM4/4/21
to mnemosyne-proj-users

Hi all, I recently installed a new update for Mac's BigSur and encountered a new problem - if I try to activate cards the program freezes (and never unfreezes). I used this feature for years without any problems, I think I used it once after the update, and now I cannot access my cards... I have restarted my Mac, tried to close everything except for Mnemosyne - nothing works so far. Both Study/(de)activate cards and hot keys for (de)activate cards menu (command+D) lead me to the same result. Please, help!

Peter Bienstman

Apr 4, 2021, 10:31:02 AM4/4/21
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, Devin Howard
Hi,

I'm putting Devin, our Mac developer in Cc.

Cheers,

Peter

On Sun, 4 Apr 2021, 16:23 sadk...@gmail.com, <sadk...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all, I recently installed a new update for Mac's BigSur and encountered a new problem - if I try to activate cards the program freezes (and never unfreezes). I used this feature for years without any problems, I think I used it once after the update, and now I cannot access my cards... I have restarted my Mac, tried to close everything except for Mnemosyne - nothing works so far. Both Study/(de)activate cards and hot keys for (de)activate cards menu (command+D) lead me to the same result. Please, help!

sadk...@gmail.com

Apr 4, 2021, 10:44:57 AM4/4/21
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Just in case, my computer is MacBook pro 2017, Big Sur 11.2.3

воскресенье, 4 апреля 2021 г. в 17:23:26 UTC+3, sadk...@gmail.com:

sadk...@gmail.com

Apr 4, 2021, 10:45:21 AM4/4/21
to mnemosyne-proj-users
thank you very much!

воскресенье, 4 апреля 2021 г. в 17:31:02 UTC+3, Peter Bienstman:

Devin Howard

Apr 4, 2021, 9:00:09 PM4/4/21
to Peter Bienstman, mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi sadkosad

I've just tried this on my (Big Sur) machine and it works for me, so I'm guessing it's something different between your machine and mine. I did notice a similar error when I try to open the graphs though....

Could you share more details with me?

1. Did this happen when you updated Mnemosyne, or when you updated to Big Sur? Or both?
2. Did you try re-installing Mnemosyne with the latest version yet?
3. What happens when you try to view the graphs?
4. Is there any way to get an error message from the crash? For example, I was able to follow the instructions at https://www.howtogeek.com/356942/how-to-view-the-system-log-on-a-mac/ and search for "mnemosyne" and find a bunch of log messages - if you could copy/paste some of these to me privately (especially around the time of the crash) it might help me understand what's breaking.

Let me know. In the meantime I'll see what I can figure out about my issue!

sadk...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2021, 3:06:52 AM4/5/21
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Dear Devin,
I'm sorry to hear that you also have a problem with the update! Thank you very much for your questions, they are more like valuable suggestions to me!
1. Did this happen when you updated Mnemosyne, or when you updated to Big Sur? Or both? - Sorry, I only updated Big Sur. I use an old version of Mnemosyne (2.7). It was probably stupid of me not to try updating it first.
2. Did you try re-installing Mnemosyne with the latest version yet? - I will try doing it after the backup, I was afraid to lose my progress, I have 4.5k cards there. I will back up them and then I will try to reinstall. The last time I moved from a machine to machine, it marked 5 hundred cards as yet-to-learn, so I try to avoid doing reinstall : ) (technically a "move" from a computer to a newer computer is like reinstallation of a program in some aspects, I guess...)
3. What happens when you try to view the graphs? - it works. A bit slow, it makes a pause for a second, but it is exactly like before the Big Sir's update.
4. Is there any way to get an error message from the crash? - I will try to get it asap!

Sorry, I have a new question: is there a way to activate all my cards except for through the study menu or "command+d"?
With best regards, S

понедельник, 5 апреля 2021 г. в 04:00:09 UTC+3, de...@callysto.com:

sadk...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2021, 5:09:58 AM4/5/21
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi, sorry if I should not press the "reply to all" button all the time, I hope to clarify one thing with Devin: I got Mnemosyne diag information by following your instructions, thank you very, very much! What could I do with it? Is it fine if I just mail it to you directly? Sorry, I cannot find your email, it seems it is masked by google groups, either/or I don't know how to use  google groups (the former is a priori correct).

понедельник, 5 апреля 2021 г. в 10:06:52 UTC+3, sadk...@gmail.com:

sadk...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2021, 5:12:09 AM4/5/21
to mnemosyne-proj-users
I mean the latter is correct (made a typo by writing 'former') -- I'm not very familiar with google groups, sorry!
понедельник, 5 апреля 2021 г. в 12:09:58 UTC+3, sadk...@gmail.com:
Message has been deleted