Timestamps not aligned

Isabel

Nov 28, 2022, 3:53:53 PM11/28/22
to Miniscope
Hello,

I tried recording from a generic webcam and the miniscope v4 simultaneously. However, the timestamps of both the camera and miniscope are not aligned nor similar (attached).

Any advice? Thank you!

Miniscope timestamp not aligned.jpg
Miniscope timestamp not aligned.jpg

Daniel Aharoni

Nov 28, 2022, 4:43:38 PM11/28/22
to Isabel, Miniscope
Hi! All timestamps generated by the Miniscope DAQ Software share the same, common start time. This means that each frame acquired has a timestamp that represents when that frame arrived to the computer relative to the start time. Individual video streams do not have each of their frame exposures sync'ed to each other but, instead, each piece of data that arrives to the software is timestamped relative to a common time point. Hope this explanation helps!

Daniel B. Aharoni, PhD
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Neurology, UCLA

Masurkar Lab

Nov 30, 2022, 4:56:46 PM11/30/22
to Daniel Aharoni, Miniscope
Hi Daniel,

Thank you for the information!

Would that also mean a difference in frame numbers between the miniscope and behavior camera are fine as well? For example, my behavior camera had ~800 frames captured while the miniscope captured double the number of frames.

Isabel

Daniel Aharoni

Nov 30, 2022, 5:44:02 PM11/30/22
to Masurkar Lab, Miniscope
Yep! The difference in total number of frames acquired is just based on the FPS of each video stream. The Miniscope DAQ Software doesn't require the FPS of Miniscope and behavioral camera to be the same.

Masurkar Lab

Dec 1, 2022, 11:13:21 AM12/1/22
to Daniel Aharoni, Miniscope
Thank you for the clarification!