BNC to SMA adapter to run TTL trigger through DAQ box digital I/O ports?

Gabrielle Siemonsmeier

Jun 28, 2021, 10:53:45 AM6/28/21
to Miniscope
Hi everyone,
At the risk of revealing my complete ignorance of electronics, I was wondering if it would be possible to use a BNC to SMA adapter to run a TTL trigger through the DAQ's digital I/O ports. I imagine one issue is the difference in voltage (5V vs. 3.3V), so would this require a converter? Open Ephys sells various DAQ accessories including several "Coaxial Cable BNC Plug to SMA Plug", would that do the trick?
I know you can modify the DAQ PCB to solder on a BNC connector (I already have one such modified DAQ which I "inherited"), I was just wondering if there was a way around that. If not, are there instructions on how to do so somewhere?
Cheers,
Gabrielle

Daniel Aharoni

Jun 28, 2021, 12:55:11 PM6/28/21
to Gabrielle Siemonsmeier, Miniscope
Hi Gabrielle,
Great questions.

Yes you can use a 50ohm (very likely what you have is 50ohm) bnc to sma adaptor. These are all just different types of coax cable connectors and as long as they have the correct impedance of 50ohm you can switch between them without issue.

As for the voltage levels, the DAQ sold by OEPS is 5V tolerant so you don't need any voltage divider or converter if using their DAQs. If using a DAQ from another vendor or one you built yourself it might or might not be able to handle 5V digital input. We have heard mixed results in this case and it likely depends on the output impedance of the device generating the 5V. A simple voltage divider would work here to drop the voltage to around 3.3V.

Gabrielle Siemonsmeier

Jun 29, 2021, 5:24:31 PM6/29/21
to Miniscope
Hi Daniel,
Thank you! My DAQs are from Labmaker, I sent them an email to inquire about the voltage tolerance. The TTL trigger comes from our Med Associates conditioning boxes, I'll look into the output impedance.
If using an adapter should work, and since the DAQs have two GPIO SMA ports, is it theoretically possible to have two incoming TTL signals to the same DAQ, e.g. one to trigger recording and another to timestamp specific behavioural events into the recordings? I imagine the J5 connector would have to be reconfigured as alluded to here ? Or is this irrelevant because the software only allows for external triggering but not this kind of TTL input?

Daniel Aharoni

Jul 1, 2021, 7:16:16 PM7/1/21
to Miniscope
Hi,
Unfortunately we have never gotten around to implementing the ability for the DAQ to timestamp incoming digital signals. This is definitely still on our todo list but have no idea when we will actually get around to doing it.

Gabrielle Siemonsmeier

Jul 1, 2021, 9:47:38 PM7/1/21
to Miniscope
Good to know, thank you!

Hannah Wirtshafter

May 3, 2022, 4:31:57 PM5/3/22
to Miniscope
Hi Gabrielle,
Did you get this to work? I also have a labmaker box and am having issues triggering using a TTL
Thanks!

Gabrielle Siemonsmeier

May 3, 2022, 5:15:16 PM5/3/22
to Miniscope
Hi Hannah,
Unfortunately no; it's the voltage divider I didn't know how to implement (see my more recent post here: https://groups.google.com/g/miniscope/c/J6EiGxYjm18). I did try triggering recordings via TTL on an Open-Ephys DAQ using a BNC to SMA adapter on a digital I/O port and that worked!

Hannah Wirtshafter

May 10, 2022, 1:35:03 PM5/10/22
to Miniscope
ug damn!! Was really hoping that wasn't the case...

Hannah Wirtshafter

May 10, 2022, 1:38:05 PM5/10/22
to Miniscope
that being said I think something as simple as this should work to convert the signal: https://www.amazon.com/SparkFun-Logic-Level-Converter-Bi-Directional/dp/B01N30ZCW9

Nate Klett

Mar 9, 2023, 7:24:31 AM3/9/23
to Miniscope
Hello, despite reading this (and elsewhere), I am still a bit confused and don't want to ruin any equipment by delivering TTL voltage inputs to ports which are not designed for it.

Can the DAQ's digital I/O ports be used for TTL triggering,

1000px-DAQv3_x.png

or do I need to solder in a SMA connector at the empty slot,

lR8kuUC.jpeg

as described here in this 2017 thread?

I am using a DAQ box from Labmaker ordered in 2020. I am not certain which version it is, but it looks like this:

WhatsApp Image 2023-03-09 at 13.09.53.jpeg    WhatsApp Image 2023-03-09 at 13.09.55.jpeg

My understanding is that I cannot use the I/O inputs as a TTL input trigger, and that I still need to solder a new connector for the input trigger. Is that correct? Thanks for your input.

post-script: as extra information for future readers, the currently available DAQ boards from Open Ephys are version 3.3, and include the Input Trigger already installed:

IMG-4704.jpg

Nat Kinsky

Mar 9, 2023, 2:48:04 PM3/9/23
to Miniscope
Hi Nate,

I have the same era Labmaker DAQ box. You are correct, you need to solder a connector to the pads in the red circle in your post. As far as I know, you can't use the existing I/O ports to externally trigger recordings.

I've attached a picture of what I did for your reference. It has been working great. Note that I opted to solder two wires to a BNC connector since all our other systems use BNC ports, not SMA ports.  As a result, I had to move the trigger to the side because a BNC port is too large to fit between the existing SMA connectors. I used a drill press to make the connector hole in the side of the metal box.
Labmaker_TTL_trigger_connector_picture.jpeg
Hope this helps,

Nat

Nate Klett

Mar 13, 2023, 4:58:12 AM3/13/23
to Miniscope
Thanks for the confirmation Nat! This is very helpful.