Fwd: Inside DOD's new Software Modernization Strategy

John Scott

Feb 8, 2022, 9:24:58 AM2/8/22
to mil...@googlegroups.com
On February 8, 2022 at 4:42:20 AM, DefenseScoop (ne...@defensescoop.com) wrote:
After calls to ‘fix our computers,’ military CIOs pledge to get it right.
TUESDAY, FEB. 8, 2022
linkedin facebook twitter
DefenseScoop
The DOD issued a slew of new software-focused policies recently, including a Software Modernization Strategy. Defense CIOs are listening after recent calls across the forces to "fix our computers." And the CMMC program has a new home in the Pentagon. Welcome to the DefenseScoop newsletter, Feb. 8, 2022.
feature image

DOD publishes new software modernization strategy, memos on code

The Department of Defense issued a rash of new software policy documents in recent days, including a new Software Modernization Strategy. Together, the documents aim to push software closer to the center of how DOD does business and wages war with a more collaborative approach to coding across software factories and services. Jackson Barnett has the scoop.

Defense Tech Week | September 12-16, 2022

Join influential leaders and innovators at Defense Tech Week, the nation’s premier week-long festival dedicated to technology’s critical role in the future of modern U.S. defense and national security. Register here.

After calls to ‘fix our computers,’ military CIOs pledge to get it right

CIOs across the Department of Defense have heeded the widely circulated complaints of defense personnel, who took to social media platforms in recent weeks calling on senior leaders to “fix our computers.” Billy Mitchell has more.

CMMC program moved to the office of DOD chief information officer

The Department of Defense’s Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification program has been moved to the office of the chief information officer, according to a memo signed by the deputy secretary of defense. More from Jackson.

Defense Tech Week | September 12-16, 2022

Join influential leaders and innovators at Defense Tech Week, the nation’s premier week-long festival dedicated to technology’s critical role in the future of modern U.S. defense and national security. Register here.

Heidi Shyu gives first glance at new vision for DOD technology research

Department of Defense CTO Heidi Shyu on Thursday announced a list of technology priorities and a new vision for turning research areas into deliverable military capabilities. Read more about Shyu's vision.

Want more? Catch our events for all things defense!
Copyright (c) 2021 DefenseScoop, All rights reserved.

Scoop News Group
2001 K Street NW
Washington DC

Update your email preferences
Unsubscribe

Kit Plummer

Feb 8, 2022, 9:43:06 AM2/8/22
to mil...@googlegroups.com
This is a better article: https://federalnewsnetwork.com/defense-news/2022/02/pentagon-has-plan-to-fix-its-software-development-woes

BTW, anyone have any insight into JWCC and the timing of things?

Personal plug for a tool I've recently OSS'd and am looking for general feedback on - https://github.com/kitplummer/goa - a simple gitops agent for doing something when a remote git repo changes.

www.mil-oss.org

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Military Open Source Software (Mil-OSS)" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mil-oss/CAPzJ1p1zuizUwFqc2-pEOkaR_SrJc9F_sWJni0LAjg79cYKE9Q%40mail.gmail.com.

Miles Fidelman

Feb 8, 2022, 11:06:45 AM2/8/22
to mil...@googlegroups.com
Like this time, anybody will do better.  Sigh....

The reality is, building complex systems hard.  Sometimes folks get it right - it sure seems like the Webb Telescope is coming online without any glitches (knock on wood, here).  Perhaps there are some lessons to be learned?

Miles Fidelman

Kit Plummer wrote:
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mil-oss/CAHUyvnoW51mp_GinYGaq3t3nsreXNtfm-v4uuMkBfzR31WGz1w%40mail.gmail.com.

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown

Cem Karan

Feb 10, 2022, 6:00:50 AM2/10/22
to mil...@googlegroups.com
Take this statement with a grain of salt as I'm relying on my incredibly fallible memory, but I think I saw an interview with the project manager where he stated that something like a third of the total budget was for test and verification.  I don't know what everyone else gets in terms of time and money for T&V, but I know I don't get that on anything I work on.  If what I remembered is true, then my big lesson learned is that complex systems require a real commitment from management to T&V.  Anything less is risking failure.

Thanks,
Cem Karan

Niels Olson

Feb 11, 2022, 12:10:51 PM2/11/22
to mil...@googlegroups.com
Hey, the mil-oss.org domain appears to have been spammed, maybe hacked? Not sure what happened, but I'm guessling plastic surgery patients in Vancouver are not your target audience.

John Scott

Feb 11, 2022, 2:07:07 PM2/11/22
to Niels Olson, mil...@googlegroups.com
Blame josh :-(