It is possible to implement fixed-point arithmetic in MikeOS ?

Emanuel Cabrera

Oct 12, 2021, 5:03:25 PM10/12/21
to MikeOS
Hi everyone, I would like to ask if there is a way to implement fixed-point arithmetic in MikeOS? And I'm new to assembly language and I thought MikeOS was really cool and that's why I've been researching this kind of programming, and that's when I came across this kind of arithmetic. But I had some difficulty understanding how I can implement this in the assembly environment and, respectively, in MikeOS
If anyone can help explain how to implement it, thank you.

Emanuel

Sorry if my English is really bad.

Walt Nagel

Oct 13, 2021, 11:00:12 AM10/13/21
to Emanuel Cabrera, MikeOS

Emanuel,

Do you mean fixed point or multi-precision. Although these two terms are somewhat related, they are different. In fixed point arithmetic binary 1 can represent almost any number: common values are 1/100 (0.01, e.g. cents), 1/2, 1, 2 or 10. Application specific numbers are then scaled by this common factor. Both the Basic and Forth applications provided with MikeOS are fixed point 1 systems. Most programmers write this kind of application without even thinking about it. (Note I would apply both math terms to the application code and not directly to the OS.)

MikeOS for the most part uses 16-bit registers for mathematics ('single' precision). However, it is configured to run  only on 386 and newer processors. This makes it really easy for an application programmer to include 32-bit ('double' precision) mathematics routines. 64-bit ('quad' precision) math is also possible with a little more effort.

If there are specific routines, within the scope of MikeOS (see the "System Developer Handbook"), that you have in mind, let the group know and they will be considered for the next release of the OS.

No apology for your English is necessary.

Walt

Emanuel Cabrera

Oct 13, 2021, 11:41:34 AM10/13/21
to MikeOS
I would like to implement a math library that has functions like sine, cosine and tangent (and some other features) in MikeOS to make it easier to create programs that need these features. I believe such a library would be of great use to everyone.

Emanuel

Walt Nagel

Oct 14, 2021, 7:54:16 PM10/14/21
to Emanuel Cabrera, MikeOS

Such a library is probably beyond the scope of MikeOS, but as a separate, plug-in library it could be of interest. Instead of of trying to precisely calculate all the numbers from scratch I would suggest a simple look-up table of 90 integers. The software would determine the quadrant, sign and look-up pointer for sine and cosine. Tangent = 1000 * sine / cosine (a separate table is also possible). (The calculation is accurate to about 2 1/2 %.) Since division by zero is undetermined, I would return 65535 for tan(90) or cot(0).

I've attached a skeleton assembly file that could be used as a starting point for the library.

Walt

trig.asm

James Huddle

Oct 14, 2021, 9:04:17 PM10/14/21
to Walt Nagel, Emanuel Cabrera, MikeOS
Nice example!  Really nice!
Thank you for providing that assembler, Walt.
I feel like I'm overstating, but I'm truly grateful.
-Jim Huddle

Dan

Oct 14, 2021, 9:40:09 PM10/14/21
to mik...@googlegroups.com
Hi Walt,

Nice work! Something like this in a Math library could open the door to
all sorts of 3D shenanigans! It definitely makes sense to work in
degrees rather than radians here as you've done.

With `norm_alpha()` at a quick look you could spend a while looping to
reduce a value like 65k down the correct range, I would suggest to just
XOR once you have made it positive.

One thing I would suggest is that the table doesn't efficiently store
information about curves, you want more points around curves and less
points around lines if possible. A non-linear LUT in assembly might not
be ideal though.

Something to consider is just using an approximation. Given the accuracy
we're dealing with here, nobody will notice (just make sure it's
documented of course). For sine, something like the 'Bhaskara I's sine
approximation' could work [1].

Best of luck!

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhaskara_I%27s_sine_approximation_formula

Kind Regards,

Dan
> <mailto:mikeos+un...@googlegroups.com>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mikeos/1b93fa85-7184-ea39-ba32-ed4375c2f0c8%40yahoo.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mikeos/CAJh-HBGQTFbCKXF%3DNbCkQFn6et%3D3La9SMFLZErV83iqR-mR2OQ%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mikeos/CAJh-HBGQTFbCKXF%3DNbCkQFn6et%3D3La9SMFLZErV83iqR-mR2OQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Emanuel Cabrera

Oct 15, 2021, 11:23:36 AM10/15/21
to MikeOS
Really very interesting this code. It's a start for a trigonometric library.

Emanuel

Emanuel Cabrera

Oct 15, 2021, 12:05:52 PM10/15/21
to MikeOS
And Walt Nagel, you're right, I think a trigonometry (and therefore fixed-point) library would be a little heavy for MikeOS. But the library can undoubtedly be an external plug-in for MikeOS, like many other programs.
But a question, wouldn't it be better to use the Taylor series to calculate sine, cosine and tangent rather than the table ?

Emanuel

Walt Nagel

Oct 15, 2021, 12:56:39 PM10/15/21
to Emanuel Cabrera, MikeOS

A Taylor series is an example of what I previously called a 'precise calculation.' Typically, for the sine a Taylor series would be given as sin(x) = x - (x^3/3!) + (x^5/5!) ... Raising to a power requires a lot of multiplications and the factorials would also require multiplications or a lookup table. The result would not be as accurate as a simple lookup table for many of the values of 'x' and the code would definitely be much more complicated and cpu time consuming.

This code needs tested, but here is what I quickly put together for the simple lookup example:
; return sine of alpha
sin_alpha:
    pushad
    mov bp, sp
    call norm_alpha
    mov ebx, 1        ; set sign of result to +
    cmp si, 180
    jl .t1
    neg ebx            ; result is -
    sub si, 180        ; alpha' = alpha - 180
  .t1:
    mov di, si        ; a = alpha
    cmp si, 90
    jle .t2
    mov di, 180        ; a = 180 - alpha
    sub di, si
  .t2:
    shl di, 1        ; word entries
    xor eax, eax        ; zero extend
    mov ax, [di+sin_table]    ; get sin(a) from table
    mul ebx            ; set sign of result based on quadrant

    mov [bp+4], eax        ; return value to esi on stack
    popad
    ret

Most of the code is for determining the quadrant and adjusting the lookup angle accordingly. The actual lookup reduces to a single instruction.

Hope this is helpful,
Walt

Emanuel Cabrera

Oct 15, 2021, 1:00:58 PM10/15/21