Switching velocity on and off

Alex Ivanov

Aug 11, 2019, 11:39:03 AM8/11/19
to midi...@googlegroups.com
Hi.
I want to use a button on my controller to either turn velocity on for note events (pass it as is generated by controller) or ignore it (always pass 127) without using Process().
Is it possible at all?
Thanks.

STEFETS - https://github.com/stefets/live-config/

Aug 12, 2019, 5:21:15 PM8/12/19
to mididings
Hi,
Not sure to understand the question but I think you must set a Filter in your chain before setting the Velocity ?

Example:
patch= '''FILTERLOGIC''' ­>> Velocity(fixed=127) >> Output('DummyPort')

Do you have code example ?

gnid...@ya.ru

Aug 17, 2019, 7:33:06 AM8/17/19
to midi...@googlegroups.com, stefe...@gmail.com
Hi!
I want to switch velocity sensivity on and off via button on controller
- button pressed - velocity is overriden by mididings and is of a fixed value
- button pressed once again - velocity is passed as is from controller
In the manual there is only solution via Process() function to hook note events
But I don't want to ruin realtime processing and use Process()
Are there any other way around?

Alex Ivanov

Sep 9, 2019, 6:52:59 PM9/9/19
to midi...@googlegroups.com, stefe...@gmail.com
Any solution to my problem?
Thanks

17.08.2019, 14:33, "gnid...@ya.ru" <gnid...@ya.ru>:
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mididings/3522321566041584%40sas2-b4ed770db137.qloud-c.yandex.net.

STEFETS - https://github.com/stefets/live-config/

Sep 13, 2019, 9:29:12 PM9/13/19
to mididings
Hi Alex,
I believe that as long as you avoid using the Process function that exists for your needs, there is no solution.
Stephane Gagnon

Le dimanche 11 août 2019 11:39:03 UTC-4, gnidorah a écrit :
Hi.
I want to use a button on my controller to either turn velocity on for note events (pass it as is generated by controller) or ignore it (always pass 127) without using Process().
Is it possible at all?
Thanks.

gnid...@ya.ru

Sep 25, 2019, 1:29:48 PM9/25/19
to midi...@googlegroups.com
> I believe that as long as you avoid using the Process function that exists for your needs, there is no solution.

Process() is not recommended for jack-rt frontend. Also its a bit overly to modify every note event just because I want to either velocity sensivity on or off
Isn't it possible to configure that on start via script command line argument for example?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mididings/e6a700db-50a5-40e1-92db-14e5e89e601b%40googlegroups.com.

STEFETS - https://github.com/stefets/live-config/

Sep 29, 2019, 9:51:39 AM9/29/19
to mididings
Hi Alex,

I use Process() in my scripts but I never observed any performances issues. Anyway, I understand that you don't want to use Process() in your setup.

There is no switch/flag to set the velocity from the command line from mididings, and it's impossible to send the velocity with the send_midi script that is include with mididings.

If restarting mididings when you change the velocity from you button is an option, I have an idea, let me know!

Stephane Gagnon

gnid...@ya.ru

Oct 4, 2019, 5:13:33 PM10/4/19
to midi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stephane
> If restarting mididings when you change the velocity from you button is an option, I have an idea, let me know!
Yes that would be fine. Could you please help?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mididings/7a4e878b-d282-43ed-b99f-59d2c510efa7%40googlegroups.com.

STEFETS - https://github.com/stefets/live-config/

Oct 6, 2019, 4:06:08 PM10/6/19
to mididings
Hi Alex,

Here is what I would do:
  • Add AutoRestart(), MemorizeScene(filename) in the hook section of your mididings script
  • Add from mididings.extra.inotify import * in your mididings script
  • Create a patch that will catch the midi message from your button and assign that patch to the control patch in the run section in your mididings script
  • Create a bash script that will change your velocity in your mididings script with sed or awk
  • When you toggle your button, your control patch will use the built-in function System(your_bash_script)
  • Your bash script will be called by mididings and it will replace your velocity values in your mididings script.
That's it, with the AutoRestart and MemorizeScene, as soon as your mididings script is modified by sed or awk, mididings will restart automatically and it will restore the scene you were before with the MemorizeScene functionnality

Hope it helps ! I don't have your script source code so it's not so evident for me to help you more.

Stephane Gagnon