Migrants overhead/overheard

clear...@peak.org

Sep 19, 2019, 10:19:32 AM9/19/19
to Midvalley Birding Midvalley, Mid-Valley Nature
Hi all,

It seems later than the normal southward migration of Swainson's Thrushes but last night, for the first time this fall, I heard a few soft "weep!" calls from birds flying southward in the night.

Also seemingly on the late side for southward migration of Greater White-fronted Geese (GWFG), yesterday Tom Love reported hearing a flock flying over southern Washington County. With better weather today, it might be a good day to listen for and spot flocks flying over the mid-valley region.

Calls of GWFG flocks have a "laughing" quality compared with the honking of Canada Geese or the higher-pitched honks of Cackling Geese (which are also starting to move south over our area). GWFG also tend to fly in wider and often more disorganized/straggly V formations than the "white-cheeked" geese.

happy fall migration,
Joel

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis

Pam and Randy Comeleo

Sep 19, 2019, 2:59:11 PM9/19/19
to clear...@peak.org, Midvalley Birding Midvalley, Mid-Valley Nature

Apparently a few of those Swainson’s Thrushes didn’t get very far – I heard several “whit” calls coming from our little patch of woods at around 10 am this morning.

We saw several disorganized V’s of Greater White-fronted Geese passing overhead at Klamath Marsh yesterday during a break in the monsoon rains. Their “laughing” calls set off our GWFG-alarm dog who barked wildly at them. I’m sure she was just trying to encourage them to keep moving south. OK, I know, that’s not our mid-valley, but it must be somebody’s mid-valleyJ

Pam

Mary Garrard

Sep 19, 2019, 6:16:34 PM9/19/19
to Randy and Pam Comeleo, clear...@peak.org, Midvalley birders, mid-vall...@googlegroups.com
Early one morning last week I heard laughing overhead just as I woke up, so I figured it was the beginning of fall, if the cooler, rainy weather and the first of the turning leaves hadn’t already clued me in😍.
Mary