Talking Water Gardens

Don Boucher

Jan 19, 2020, 8:31:00 PM1/19/20
to Mid Valley Birding, mid-vall...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

The Neighborhood Naturalist led a field trip this morning at Talking Water Gardens in Albany. It was a clam and warm morning with periods of sunshine.

We got a few lucky looks at a Sora but we didn't encounter any other rails. There was a calm Red-tailed Hawk with an orange wing tag perched on a utility pole. The wing tag was partially covered had either E/K or E/A on it. I overheard someone on the field trip who said they were going to find out where the hawk was tagged. We'll let you know if we find out.

Everyone got a decent look at a Wilson's Snipe who seemed content sitting out in the open on a mat of cattails.

The birding was good in the woods along the First Lake trail, which included a Townsend's Warbler.

50 Species:
Canada Goose
Cackling Goose
Wood Duck
Cinnamon Teal
Northern Shoveler
Gadwall
American Wigeon
Mallard
Green-winged Teal
Bufflehead
Hooded Merganser
Pied-billed Grebe
Rock Pigeon
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Mourning Dove
Anna's Hummingbird
Sora
Wilson's Snipe
Gull sp.
Double-crested Cormorant
Bald Eagle
Red-tailed Hawk
Acorn Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Black Phoebe
California Scrub-Jay
Steller's Jay
Black-capped Chickadee
Bushtit
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper
Marsh Wren
Bewick's Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Varied Thrush
American Robin
European Starling
House Finch
Lesser Goldfinch
American Goldfinch
Dark-eyed Junco
Song Sparrow
Lincoln's Sparrow
Spotted Towhee
Red-winged Blackbird
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Townsend's Warbler

Don Boucher

Don A Boucher

Jan 19, 2020, 8:42:34 PM1/19/20
to Mid-Valley Nature
On this "calm" morning, other observers saw "E/K" on the Red-tailed Hawk's tag.

Bill Gerth

Jan 20, 2020, 12:43:47 PM1/20/20
to Don Boucher, Mid Valley Birding, mid-vall...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

Happy MLK day!

Hey...I saw a smallish brown thrush with a speckled breast in my backyard this morning. Any thoughts on which species this is likely to be?
If I see it again, I'll try to get a photo.

Thanks!
Cheers,
Bill

Don Boucher

Jan 20, 2020, 1:07:34 PM1/20/20
to Bill Gerth, Mid Valley Birding, mid-vall...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bill,

It's very likely to be a Hermit Thrush. Nice!

-Don Boucher
Corvallis

clear...@peak.org

Jan 20, 2020, 1:30:46 PM1/20/20
to Bill Gerth, Midvalley Birding Midvalley, Mid-Valley Nature
Hi Bill,

Hermit Thrush is far and away the most likely small, spotted thrush for this time of year.

If you get a good look, one thing to watch for is a tail that's noticeably more reddish/rusty than the back. They also make a low, soft "chup!" note, similar to Varied Thrush but a little softer.

Almost as endearing as bluebirds!

Joel

Jan 20, 2020, 1:48:03 PM1/20/20
to clear...@peak.org, Bill Gerth, Midvalley Birding Midvalley, Mid-Valley Nature
All the thrushes, every variety, are quite endearing! Something about them... their patterns of coloration, body shape, eyes (and eye rings on Swainson’s and hermit thrushes) and of course their vocalizations: from soft ‘chup’ calls to each of their songs.

Catherine

Bill Gerth

Jan 21, 2020, 3:44:36 AM1/21/20
to Catherine Otto, clear...@peak.org, Midvalley Birding Midvalley, Mid-Valley Nature
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll try to get a better look and will listen for its call.
Cheers,
Bill

Carol Hiler

Jan 23, 2020, 9:46:32 PM1/23/20
to Don A Boucher, Mid-Valley Nature
Hi Don - This could be the same Red-Tail that my son and I saw there a few weeks ago.  It flew towards us from out in the marsh and landed about 20 feet away from us on a boulder.  It couldn't care less that we were there as we snapped several pictures, talked and walked around.  If I remember correctly, it was caught at PDX, tagged, and released in the Brownsville area.

-Carol Hiler
N. Albany