Bintray JCenter (and MavenCentral) download stats

Werner Keil

Apr 7, 2020, 8:32:13 PM4/7/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi,

Since Bintray and JCenter introduced a new UI every newer artifact (including mirrors of MavenCentral I am pretty sure) now shows the total downloads, even if the artifact does not expose the stats explicitly.

As we made the download figures for JSRs like 363 and 385 available ever since, I know this number is the lifetime downloads for a particular artifact.

Just checking two MicroProfile APIs,
says 150848 downloads.

says only 384 downloads.

says 805423 downloads
Only under the new Jakarta groupId, that of course also includes the usage by MicroProfile ;-)

I'm not sure, if JFrog made those numbers available via API unless you pay or subscribe something, but maybe if a former colleague asks those who now work there, e.g. Steven Chin there could be ways to make it available, or Eclipse Foundation might ask for it to display on certain project pages.

Werner

Emily Jiang

Apr 8, 2020, 3:57:48 AM4/8/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Thank you Werner for sharing this! This stats are quite useful. I had a quick search on other MicroProfile API download stats and the results are quite healthy.  I think adding a link to the status page in the meeting minutes of the corresponding spec is going to be helpful.

Emily

Werner Keil

Feb 13, 2021, 12:12:11 PM2/13/21
to MicroProfile
Emily,

As Bintray will be shut down soon, I started converting and migrating all deployment pipelines for projects like JSR 385 that used Bintray and sync mechanism to MavenCentral earlier.
It turns out, that while the last 12 month window of unit-api artifact downloads on Bintray before it stopped counting already was 597.289, the last two months on MavenCentral alone were 779.602, so they were never combined. If you do that, the JSR-385 API had nearly 4.5 Mio. downloads within 12 months.

Not sure, if Eclipse staff or Webmasters (or the owners of particular MP and Jakarta EE specs) have access to the Sonatype stats? They are very neat, even with CSV export so you can easily analyze it in Excel or another tool. Only up to 12 months for normal users, maybe someone at Eclipse could even ask for a different query or do this for all of "jakarta" although what's really useful are the stats per unique API.

Werner