Re: [jakarta.ee-wg] New mailing list for MicroProfile & Jakarta EE alignment discussion

Amelia Eiras

Jan 5, 2021, 5:10:12 PM1/5/21
to Jakarta EE Working Group, Microprofile WG discussions, MicroProfile Community
Thank you, Alasdair and John!

Question for the Eclipse EMO: why does this open-source, and many other EF mailing lists, need moderation?

In MPWG, we have had many issues with managing just 1 EF email that has the same restrictions.
We have provided feedback provided about the issues encountered yet moderation continues to be a default, IMO negative to open source values.

Thank you for the follow-up,
image.png

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 1:53 PM John Clingan <jcli...@redhat.com> wrote:
Thanks Alasdair!

On Jan 5, 2021, at 1:50 PM, Alasdair Nottingham <alasdair....@gmail.com> wrote:

Alasdair Nottingham

On Jan 5, 2021, at 4:41 PM, John Clingan <jcli...@redhat.com> wrote:

Both the Jakarta EE Working Group and the MicroProfile Working Group have passed resolutions to form the CN4J alliance. The purpose of the CN4J Alliance is to define Jakarta EE and MicroProfile positioning and alignment, both branding and technical. An eclipse mailing list, cn4j-a...@eclipse.org (archive), has been created to advance the discussion. Feel free to join if interested. A slide deck will be posted to set context for the discussion.

Happy New Year!

Kevin Sutter

Jan 6, 2021, 8:55:44 AM1/6/21
to MicroProfile
Amelia,
I don't think anything is being moderated.  The messages at the top of the page just indicate that the subscription request is in process.  If you refresh that page, you should be immediately subscribed.  That's what happened with me.

-- Kevin

Mark Little

Jan 6, 2021, 8:57:57 AM1/6/21
to MicroProfile
+1

Werner Keil

Jan 6, 2021, 2:31:49 PM1/6/21
to MicroProfile
There is at least some auto-moderation here at times, many months, probably more years ago I had one or two posts moderated after seemingly replying to more than one or two within a short period of time.

Given Amelia is also quite "prolific" at times posting many times in the same or across different groups, maybe she triggered a similar alarm ;-)

Werner

Wayne Beaton

Jan 6, 2021, 3:04:33 PM1/6/21
to MicroProfile
As a general rule, Eclipse Foundation mailing lists are public, but require subscription. Subscriptions are not moderated (i.e., there is no human intervention in the subscription process). Posts not generally moderated.

There are some exceptions. The security list, for example, is not public and you cannot subscribe, but anybody can send to it. That list is moderated, because, frankly, it gets a huge amount of spam that we don't want to avoid forwarding to the security team.

Subscription requests do go into a queue that is processed by a backend service. Depending on activity, completing the subscription can take anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes. There is no human intervention. If you experience a problem with subscribing to a list, then send a note to webm...@eclipse.org and we'll sort it out.

HTH,

Wayne

For completeness, subscriptions and posts to the cn4j-alliance mailing list are not moderated.

--

Wayne Beaton

Director of Open Source Projects | Eclipse Foundation, Inc.

Amelia Eiras

Jan 6, 2021, 3:17:01 PM1/6/21
to MicroProfile Community, Microprofile WG Discussions
Feliz 2019 Wayne,

Thank you for the fantastic follow-up, Wayne.
Your response will be added to the Questions and Answers documentation about Working Group lessons learned.

You rock!