Are fabric deployments popular?

Eduardo Rivas

Feb 18, 2020, 8:16:48 PM2/18/20
to Mezzanine Users
Hello everyone,

I'm Ed, one of the collaborators helping maintain Mezzanine. As we prepare to release the next version of Mezzanine (supporting Python 3 and Django 2.2 only) an issue was recently filed wondering about the future of mezzanine's built-in fabfile (which only works with Python 2).

This made me wonder: Are Fabric deployments widely used by the community? What are your thoughts on the following options:

  • Stop maintaining a fabfile of our own and just point people to general Django deployment docs
  • Extract the fabfile as a separate package/project
  • Keep the fabfile as part of Mezzanine
Looking forward to hearing from the community.

Matt Mansour

Feb 18, 2020, 8:43:03 PM2/18/20
to mezzani...@googlegroups.com
I love the fab file that ships with Mezzanine.

My first vote would be extraction into a separate package.
Second vote: keeping it in Mezzanine.
Third, point to the Django deploy docs or ship Mezzanine with a docker file (I wish I had time contribute a docker file).

Thanks for all the great work!

Mike Dewhirst

Feb 18, 2020, 9:16:57 PM2/18/20
to mezzani...@googlegroups.com
Ed

I really appreciate your work and love Mezzanine and Fabric.

I would like to see the fabfile kept in Mezzanine and enhanced slightly
by removing repo specifics to make it repo-agnostic.

I use and support a number of Subversion repos. I have done this for
more than a decade and although I have occasionally tried, I don't have
the brainspace or need for Git (or Hg) as well as svn. Occasionally I'm
forced to use it so I have to resort to googling Git recipes. It isn't
pleasant and I always need a stiff whisky afterwards.

I once enhanced the fabfile to work with svn and was about to contribute
it back to the project when a new release came out. That meant I needed
to redo the work and I never did find the time to do it again. Since
then I have been muddling along manually and my Mezz work has gradually
diminished.

I'd be happy to contribute to any svn stuff and test it.

Cheers

Mike

On 19/02/2020 12:16 pm, Eduardo Rivas wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm Ed, one of the collaborators helping maintain Mezzanine. As we
> prepare to release the next version of Mezzanine (supporting Python 3
> and Django 2.2 only) an issue was recently filed
> <https://github.com/stephenmcd/mezzanine/issues/1957> wondering about
> the future of mezzanine's built-in fabfile (which only works with
> Python 2).
>
> This made me wonder: Are Fabric deployments widely used by the
> community? What are your thoughts on the following options:
>
> * Stop maintaining a fabfile of our own and just point people to
> general Django deployment docs
> * Extract the fabfile as a separate package/project
> * Keep the fabfile as part of Mezzanine
>
> Looking forward to hearing from the community.

Danny

Feb 18, 2020, 10:55:35 PM2/18/20
to Mezzanine Users
Hi,

I do make use of a (modified version) of the included fabfile. However, I'm using Python 3.6 on my dev and server machines, and use Fabric3 to do the deployment. It works pretty well.
If this could be the supported version for Python3, that would be great.

Seeya. Danny.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mezzanine-users/ab47f973-5e3d-9c91-5eb8-613279cbd147%40dewhirst.com.au.

Roger van Schie

Feb 21, 2020, 10:45:43 AM2/21/20
to mezzani...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ed

I believe the included fab files decreases the learning curve for new users dramatically, and it would be great to keep it in, not only to make it easier for new users to get going, but to avoid unnecessary traffic on the forums. I would suggest having multiple fab files though, for different types of  infrastructure. For example, one for normal rsync, one for git, one for Amazon web services etc.

Thanks for all your hard work and help on the forums Ed!

Regards
Roger

Eduardo Rivas

Feb 21, 2020, 3:28:52 PM2/21/20
to mezzani...@googlegroups.com

Glad to see the fabfile is still in use. I think it would be best to keep it as part of Mezzanine then.

Regarding some of the questions/comments:

  • If you’re not using git or mercurial as version control, you can deploy using rsync by setting “DEPLOY_TOOL”: “rsync” in your FABRIC dictionary
  • I’m not aware of other fabfiles at the moment, only one I maintain over at https://github.com/jerivas/mezzanine-webf to deploy to Webfaction. Would be cool to see others develop something similar for AWS and the like.

Matt Mansour

Feb 21, 2020, 3:37:02 PM2/21/20
to mezzani...@googlegroups.com
"Would be cool to see others develop something similar for AWS and the like."

Agreed. I'll take a stab at it if I can make some time. Right now I am swamped with multiple projects.

Most of my mezzanine stuff in on AWS. Right now I use the mezz fab file to create the default stack on EC2, but then I tear the EC2 apart, and move postgres to RDS, the caching to Elasticache, and the media to s3 through Cloudfront with Boto.

It would be easier in the long run to just build out the fab file.