Deprecating unused repositories

Dmitry Tantsur

Sep 28, 2021, 7:33:26 AM9/28/21
to Metal3 Development List
Hi folks!

For the sake of cleaning up our project and avoiding confusion, I would like to propose deprecating and archiving the following repositories:

    To my knowledge, it is not used in Metal3, although it seems like CERN is experimenting with it independently. I'm reaching out to them to see if they want to take it over (and out of Metal3).

    Seems inactive. There is a new PR adding Ironic support to it, and I have concerns with it. May stay if we limit the scope to BMO and CAPM3? Anyone up for maintaining it?

    Was an experiment that hasn't led anywhere. This functionality probably belongs in node_exporter.

    Already deprecated (content moved into ironic-image). Should be archived.

Dmitry

--
Red Hat GmbH, https://de.redhat.com/ , Registered seat: Grasbrunn,
Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Brian Klemm, Laurie Krebs, Michael O'Neill

Feruzjon Muyassarov

Sep 28, 2021, 6:22:11 PM9/28/21
to Dmitry Tantsur, Metal3 Development List
Hi,

I'm +1. But as you already mentioned, there 2 PRs for the helm chart repo,
and during community meeting Maximilian Rink agreed to help maintaining
that repo with his some collogues. So, maybe we can keep that repo for now
until we decide with those open pull requests. But for the other repos, it makes
sense to me.

BR,
Feruz

to Dmitry Tantsur, Metal3 Development List

Sep 28, 2021, 9:33:34 PM9/28/21
to metal...@googlegroups.com
On 28/09/21 18:25, Feruzjon Muyassarov wrote:
> What about https://github.com/metal3-io/base-image
> <https://github.com/metal3-io/base-image> ?

Yeah, that really has to go. Has all of the CI stopped relying on it? I
remember at one point it was still referenced somewhere critical.

> BR,
> Feruz

I agreed to that in the meeting, but Dmitry reviewed those PRs and it
looks like at least the Ironic deployment topology being proposed is
very un-Metal³-like. (It doesn't use Metal³'s ironic-image container,
and it enables RabbitMQ for spurious reasons.) So, on reflection, I
think it would be better if this were maintained outside the Metal³
project and we retire this repo.

> BR,
> Feruz

Nam Xuan Nguyen

Sep 29, 2021, 6:43:04 AM9/29/21
to Dmitry Tantsur, Metal3 Development List
I'm +1 for this.

Sep 29, 2021, 6:50:50 AM9/29/21
to Dmitry Tantsur, Metal3 Development List
+1 to this effort. l agree with Feruzjon, we can wait a bit regarding the helm chart repo.

Iury Gregory Melo Ferreira

Software Engineer, EMEA ENG R&D OpenStack Platform

Red Hat EMEA

FBCII - Purkyňova 3080/97b, Brno, Czech Republic

imel...@redhat.com    IM: iurygregory

Zane Bitter

Sep 29, 2021, 9:41:51 AM9/29/21
to metal...@googlegroups.com
Status update after the community meeting:

* https://github.com/metal3-io/ironic-hardware-inventory-recorder-image

I'll hold off until we hear from CERN about their plans.

* https://github.com/metal3-io/metal3-helm-chart

We agreed to wait a bit for any response to feedback on the open PRs.

* https://github.com/metal3-io/metal3-smart-exporter

I archived this one.

* https://github.com/metal3-io/ironic-prometheus-exporter

Could somebody add a commit that changes the README to point to the new
upstream location? Then I'll archive it.

* https://github.com/metal3-io/ironic-inspector-image

This already had a notice in the README that it would be removed after
June of this year, so I went ahead and archived it.

* https://github.com/metal3-io/base-image

Waiting for confirmation that nothing in CI is still relying on this.

- ZB

Dmitry Tantsur

Sep 30, 2021, 5:21:25 AM9/30/21
to Zane Bitter, Metal3 Development List
Hi,

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 3:42 PM Zane Bitter <zbi...@redhat.com> wrote:
Status update after the community meeting:

* https://github.com/metal3-io/ironic-hardware-inventory-recorder-image

I'll hold off until we hear from CERN about their plans.

Will ping Arne again.

* https://github.com/metal3-io/metal3-helm-chart

We agreed to wait a bit for any response to feedback on the open PRs.

* https://github.com/metal3-io/metal3-smart-exporter

I archived this one.

* https://github.com/metal3-io/ironic-prometheus-exporter

Could somebody add a commit that changes the README to point to the new
upstream location? Then I'll archive it.

Done

* https://github.com/metal3-io/ironic-inspector-image

This already had a notice in the README that it would be removed after
June of this year, so I went ahead and archived it.

* https://github.com/metal3-io/base-image

Waiting for confirmation that nothing in CI is still relying on this.

- ZB

Zane Bitter

Sep 30, 2021, 9:41:09 AM9/30/21
On 30/09/21 05:21, Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
> * https://github.com/metal3-io/ironic-prometheus-exporter
> <https://github.com/metal3-io/ironic-prometheus-exporter>
>
> Could somebody add a commit that changes the README to point to the new
> upstream location? Then I'll archive it.
>

> Done

Thanks, archived.