Plan for WarmStart with Extstore support,and what is the progress now

Shihu Zhang

Apr 6, 2021, 4:33:12 AM4/6/21
to memcached
        Our program have test the feature of WarmStart which is useful. Data cached in Memcached is nearly never modified and is 10TB large (value is 100kb+). So WarmStart with Exstore support  is a better feature.
         So I want to know the plan for it, and what is the complex mentioned here https://github.com/memcached/memcached/issues/531.

dormando

Apr 6, 2021, 4:06:26 PM4/6/21
to memcached
Hey,

Sorry about that not being done yet. Mostly due to lack of demand for it I
was working on other things. I can and should get to that soon (this month
or next month?).

It's not too hard but there are a lot of places that need to be patched.
Please note that warm restart with extstore does not make it crash or
reboot safe. There is still a memory segment that needs to be saved to
survive reboots.

-Dormando
> --
>
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/memcached/17c8b54e-76c7-41e9-8797-47bb66457892n%40googlegroups.com.

Eric Zhang

Apr 7, 2021, 12:28:23 AM4/7/21
to memcached
This month or next month is OK for me, and I will be the first one to test it. I can make some patches to make it work, based on https://github.com/memcached/memcached/tree/master or you have your own branch for it. I note that your own repo is not updated for a long time https://github.com/dormando/memcached.

dormando

Apr 7, 2021, 4:11:22 AM4/7/21
to memcached
I don't remember what needed to be done at this point. I'll check possibly
next week; I have a large change that I'm in the middle of working on and
need to finish first.

fwiw 'next' branch is for basing development work on. My personal repo is
full of recent development branches. I don't typically update master/next
on there.

If your co is able to sponsor development that can speed things up too.

-Dormando
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/memcached/50b76cfc-1892-4f34-94a4-b14e214c2e27n%40googlegroups.com.

Eric Zhang

Apr 9, 2021, 1:45:37 AM4/9/21
to memcached
OK,I will read the source code and test warm start with exstore first to find where need to fix.

Eric Zhang

May 8, 2021, 2:52:34 AM5/8/21
to memcached
Hello.
Will warmstart with extstore support be released this moth?
在2021年4月7日星期三 UTC+8 下午4:11:22<Dormando> 写道:

dormando

May 8, 2021, 6:48:10 PM5/8/21
to memcached
Hey,

Prooooobably not. I'm still working toward driving the first usable
version fo the proxy code. Sorry :(