Rapid diagnostics for melioidosis

Bart Currie

May 24, 2022, 7:47:19 PM5/24/22
to melio...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

We have published our review of the melioidosis AMD LFA.

https://academic.oup.com/ofid/article-abstract/doi/10.1093/ofid/ofac149/6551525

The Supplementary file has our inhouse SOPs which we have developed and now use.

Note that a heating step has been particularly helpful in improving sensitivity for sputum, pus, tissue.

It is also very helpful in confirming ID of B. pseudomallei from a culture plate colony or incubating blood cultures.

We are hoping that further studies will take this from preliminary, experimental work to an approved diagnostic.

There are other rapid diagnostics/POC tests being developed and given the laboratory complexities with processing and identifying B. pseudomallei, these may have an important role in the future.

Bart

Bart Currie

Global and Tropical Health Division, Menzies School of Health Research

Infectious Diseases Department, Royal Darwin Hospital

Postal Address:

Menzies School of Health Research

PO Box 41096 Casuarina, Northern Territory 0811 Australia

Phone: +61-8-89468600 (Menzies reception)

       +61-8-89228888 (RDH switch)

email: bart....@menzies.edu.au

Bijayini Behera

May 24, 2022, 11:05:27 PM5/24/22
to melio...@googlegroups.com
Thanking you Sir. The availability of AMD as well as AMD plus in India has been a really tough bottleneck situation.

Prasanta R. Mohapatra

May 25, 2022, 12:39:28 AM5/25/22
to melio...@googlegroups.com

Yes, the availability of AMD plus is important (as POC testing), the rainy season is just about start here. We thank Dr Bart, for bringing out the latest work on the AMD-plus.

In the study, the sensitivity is higher for pus (prostate, spleen, lung, brain, colon, bone, skin, lymph node) and sputum than serum and urine.

The false-positive band was not seen on any urine samples in the study when retested using AMD-Plus

Both papers of Dr Bijayini and our institute (Ref 14 and 31) cited in this article. https://academic.oup.com/ofid/article-abstract/doi/10.1093/ofid/ofac149/6551525

Thanking you,

With Kind regards,

Prasanta R Mohapatra, MD, FRCP(London), FRCP (Glasg), FACP(USA), FCCP(USA), FIDSA(USA), ATSF(USA), FAPSR

Professor and Head,  Dept of Pulmonary Medicine & Critical Care,

AII India Institute of Medical Sciences, Bhubaneswar -751019, India

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Prasanta_Mohapatra

PubMed publications: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/myncbi/prasanta%20raghab.mohapatra.1/bibliography/public/
Contact (Emergency) Cell:+91- 9438884288

May 26, 2022, 2:38:44 AM5/26/22
to melio...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bart,
Greetings from Yangon. Very nice article.
I would like to use it in our clinics and asked Direk but he said that the AMD LFA is not yet commercially available. So, what can we do on a practical / clinical level?
Do you have any suggestions?

Best regards, Frank

Frank Smithuis
Mahidol Oxford Tropical Medicine Research Unit (MORU)
Mobile phone Thailand : +66 9 2707 6353,  Myanmar +95 9 509 3301

Sayaphet Rattanavong

May 26, 2022, 3:15:44 AM5/26/22
to melio...@googlegroups.com

Dear Pr Bart,

Many thanks for publishing melioidosis AMD LFA, it would be very useful for B. pseudo detection

I have look according to the link for more infor but could not

Would be great if you could re send the link please

Very best wishes

Sayaphet