Our paper from Odisha

Bijayini Behera

Jun 18, 2021, 5:53:53 AM6/18/21
to melio...@googlegroups.com, Direk Limmathurotakul, David Dance, MOCRU Myo Maung Maung Swe
Dear esteemed group members,  sharing our publication on melioidosis from Odisha

On Fri, 18 Jun 2021, 14:37 Frank, <frank.m....@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Direk and other Melioidosis interested,

I would like to share with you a large study we did in Myanmar (attached)

SUMMARY; Melioidosis was first described in Rangoon (now Yangon) in 1911 but it has rarely been reported in Myanmar over the past century.
The true melioidosis burden in Myanmar is obscured by a lack of awareness among clinicians and limited diagnostic facilities to identify the causative organism.
To explore this issue, we conducted a nationwide study to assess the presence of Bpseudomallei in 3,870 soil samples collected from all fifteen states and regions of Myanmar.
Our study revealed a widespread distribution of the organism in the Myanmar environment.
This finding contributes to the understanding of the global distribution of Bpseudomallei and should alert clinicians throughout Myanmar to consider melioidosis as a potential cause of fever, sepsis, pneumonia and abscesses.

image.png

On Sat, 8 May 2021 at 09:45, Direk Limmathurotsakul <di...@tropmedres.ac> wrote:

Dear everyone,

I would like to share some updates of epidemiology of melioidosis and some from our internal website management (www.melioidosis.info)

[1] The paper attached is about culture-confirmed melioidosis in children with sickle cell anemia in The Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). [Thanks to David who regularly screen for new paper and share his enthusiasm]. Some of you may have seen this paper and it’s open access. As far as we know, this is the first report of human case from DRC. https://www.syncsci.com/journal/TCPP/article/view/458

[2] David did a quick look thorough all the papers published this year so far (86 papers)

A paper by Adeyemi FM, Akinde SB. ESβL, AmpC and carbapenemase, “co-production in multi-drug resistant Gram-negative bacteria from HIV-infected patients in southwestern Nigeria. African Journal of Clinical and Experimental Microbiology. 2021;22(1):38-51”, claimed to have included 17 isolates of B. pseudomallei from SW Nigeria, which were identified by Microbact 24E.  David did follow up and the lead author was willing to collaborate, although nothing has come of it so far.

There have been several reports from the Americas (e.g. Alvarez-Hernandez G, Cruz-Loustaunau D, Ibarra JA, Rascon-Alcantar A, Contreras-Soto J, Meza-Radilla G, et al. Description of two fatal cases of melioidosis in Mexican children with acute pneumonia: case report. BMC infectious diseases. 2021;21(1); Duarte C, Montufar F, Moreno J, Sanchez D, Rodriguez JY, Torres AG, et al. Genomic Diversity of Burkholderia pseudomallei Isolates, Colombia. Emerging infectious diseases. 2021;27(2):655-8; Gee JE, Gulvik CA, Castelo-Branco DSCM, Sidrim JJC, Rocha MFG, Cordeiro RA, et al. Genomic Diversity of Burkholderia pseudomallei in Ceara, Brazil. mSphere. 2021;6(1)) and the usual string of case reports and short series from India (particularly CNS infection) and, to a lesser extent, China, but otherwise it is all the usual suspects (Thailand, Malaysia etc.).

[3] We would love to update these new info on our map at www.melioidosis.info as well. Unfortunately, we can only update the website only when we are physically in our office in BKK. Due to WFH policy during this wave of COVID in Thailand, we can’t update our map at www.melioidosis.info presently. So, please wait for a while.

Hope that this update from David is helpful to you more or less. If anyone want to highlight any news or updates about Epi or any key important things about melioidosis, please feel free to do so via this googlegroup email list (melio...@googlegroups.com).

Wish that everyone is safe and sound.

Kind regards,

Direk

Best regards, Frank

Frank Smithuis
Associate Professor Oxford University
Director
Medical Action Myanmar (MAM)
Myanmar Oxford Clinical Research Unit (MOCRU)
Mobile phone : 95 - 9 - 5093301

1-s2.0-S0001706X2100173X-main-1.pdf

Prasanta R. Mohapatra

Jun 18, 2021, 5:57:55 AM6/18/21
to melio...@googlegroups.com, Direk Limmathurotakul, David Dance, MOCRU Myo Maung Maung Swe

Nice work, Many best wishes for you.

Cheers...

Thanking you,

With Regards,

Prasanta R. Mohapatra
MD, FRCP(London), FRCP (Glasg), FACP (USA), FIAB, FIMSA, FCAI,FISDA, FICS, FICP, FAPSR, FCCP(USA)
Professor, Dept of Pulmonary Medicine & Critical Care
All India Institute of Medical Sciences,
Bhubaneswar-751019, India
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Prasanta_Mohapatra

PubMed bibliography: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/myncbi/prasanta%20raghab.mohapatra.1/bibliography/public/

Contact (Emergency) Cell:+91- 9438884288

David Dance

Jun 18, 2021, 6:27:32 AM6/18/21
to melio...@googlegroups.com

Congratulations on this paper, which I had already seen.  It is wonderful to see so many people working to uncover more of the melioidosis iceberg!

BW

David

Bijayini Behera

Jun 18, 2021, 6:33:49 AM6/18/21
to melio...@googlegroups.com, David Dance
Sir , getting an e mail from you is equivalent to getting an award for me. Grateful Sir. Regards Dr Bijayini

Prasanta R. Mohapatra

Bijayini Behera

Jun 18, 2021, 6:44:03 AM6/18/21
to melio...@googlegroups.com
Sir, without your clinical acumen and support,  this work won't have seen the light of the day.  Gratitude Sir. Regards Dr Bijayini