Free Tick Testing Available

Marcy Stutzman

Jun 18, 2019, 4:49:24 PM6/18/19
to Maryland & DC Birding
Ticks seem to be horrible this year. This was posted on Maryland Mushrooms and Mycology Facebook page and I thought I would pass it along.

https://www.bayarealyme.org/lyme-disease-prevention/tick-testing/?fbclid=IwAR1hdPAG8qIxH59_yhV-Fn47XX2gi1NHtM_WQR8QeVp2iSLiKUfv6OtyLNk

I've never had a problem with ticks at Oxbow Lake until this year. I've pretty much given up birding until winter - hope it gets cold soon! Thank goodness I can bird vicariously via Facebook!

Marcy Stutzman
Russett, MD 20724

Lydia Schindler

Jun 19, 2019, 9:25:48 AM6/19/19
to Marcy Stutzman, Maryland & DC Birding
Very interesting, and balanced, Marcy. Thanks for posting.

Lydia Schindler
Darnestown

JimC

Jun 19, 2019, 11:19:43 AM6/19/19
to Maryland & DC Birding

_______________

Big thanks for that, Marcy. ... I could keep them supplied! My ticks start to bloom in April and go well into the Fall. We're on 25 ac. on the marsh so we get all God's creatures. (have not seen a Black Window yet, but carefully pick up lumber that has been laying around) ..lotsa snakes too, but they are good,

I probably average 4-5 itchy tick bites at any given time summer. I work clearing deadfall in our woods and beat back weeds, etc. on weekends. Marjie is out working the flower beds at least three times a week. The dog brings them in so they appear to originate in the house.

Luckily, in nearly 30 years here we have had no 'bullseye' rashes or other overt symptoms. This seems like a good research program. Again, thanks.

Jim Cancil
12mi W of Salisbury - across from Nutters Neck WMA

Tick tip: Tall rubber boots and do not reach down into the brush. You could spend a lot of time over by me and not get bit.

Winger and June West

Jun 22, 2019, 10:14:26 PM6/22/19
to Maryland & DC Birding

I've been birding in Maryland and Delaware since the 1980's and almost every
time I went out in the spring and summer, I came home with tick and chigger
bites. I was referred to as a "tick magnet" by my birding friends. A few
years ago, a birder/photographer friend of mine, Dave Brenneman, recommended
I try Permethrin. I put it off and continued using other bug sprays and
continued to get tick and chigger bites. This spring I finally gave in and
sprayed my birding pants and a pair of socks with Permithrin. The
manufacturer stated that a treatment would last about six weeks (washing
once a week).

I bird about one day a week. The results have been amazing. I have not had
a single tick bite this summer. In fact, I've only found one tick on my
pants and have had only one chigger bite. This stuff really works!

Winger West
Millersville, MD
"Maryland & DC Birding" group.
email to mdbirding+...@googlegroups.com.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mdbirding/56230b36-d175-426e-82fa-2ecb9f64c599%40googlegroups.com.

Donald Sweig

Jun 22, 2019, 11:55:37 PM6/22/19
to Winger and June West, Maryland & DC Birding
I’ve been using Permethrin for 30 years.
And, yes it really does work.
I spray it on my shoes, socks, birding pants, and around the waist.
Works for me.
Donald Sweig
Falls Church, Virginia

Sent from my iPad
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mdbirding/4F7255B29BD741A98073562C34A38021%40DESKTOP2G44A5S.

Gail Mackiernan

Jun 23, 2019, 6:05:45 AM6/23/19
to Donald Sweig, Winger and June West, Maryland & DC Birding
Yes, studies have shown ticks are not particularly put off by DEET - permethrin is their nemesis. Just don’t spray it on your skin.

Gail Mackiernan
Colesville

Sent from my iPad
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mdbirding/60742AF2-C13E-4F30-AE53-93231165A226%40gmail.com.

Kurt Schwarz

Jun 23, 2019, 7:07:35 AM6/23/19
to Gail Mackiernan, Donald Sweig, Maryland & DC Birding, Winger and June West
And do not dump Permethrin in the water. It is very toxic to aquatic critters.

--
Kurt Schwarz
Ellicott City, Howard County

Ann Hobbs

Jun 23, 2019, 7:16:06 AM6/23/19
to MDBIRDING
Liquid form is very toxic to cats, as well.  Allegedly ok when dry.
Ann Hobbs
Silver Spring, MD

Emily Carter Mitchell

Jun 23, 2019, 7:21:57 AM6/23/19
to Gail Mackiernan, Donald Sweig, Winger and June West, Maryland & DC Birding
FYI Deet repels Permethrin kills. Using both is strongest defense

Sent from my iPhone
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mdbirding/EF436E39-1C66-44DA-9C5E-A695FE57D827%40comcast.net.

Gail Mackiernan

Jun 23, 2019, 7:47:38 AM6/23/19
to Ann Hobbs, MDBIRDING
Can be toxic to dogs too, years ago Hartz came out with a permethrin tick spray for dogs - it did not go well...

Gail Mackiernan
Colesville, MD

Sent from my iPad

Les R. Becker

Jun 23, 2019, 12:30:19 PM6/23/19
to Gail Mackiernan, Donald Sweig, Winger and June West, Maryland & DC Birding
Great stuff. Large spray bottles available on the Net.

Les

Sent from my iPhone 8 Plus

Les
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mdbirding/EF436E39-1C66-44DA-9C5E-A695FE57D827%40comcast.net.

David Mozurkewich

Jun 23, 2019, 1:59:20 PM6/23/19
to MDBIRDING

Does anyone know the effect permethrin has on insects, butterflies,
etc? Since permethrin-laden clothes kills ticks, it will also harm
other critters with which it comes in contact? Does enough permethrin
come off your clothes and onto the vegetation you walk through to leave
a trail-of-death in your wake?

I can guess the answers to these questions are yes and no but I'd like
to know what the studies say. After all, permethrin is a pesticide.

Dave Mozurkewich
Seabrook MD

JAMES SPEICHER

Jun 24, 2019, 4:20:16 PM6/24/19
to David Mozurkewich, MDBIRDING
On 6/23/19, 'David Mozurkewich' wrote:
> Does anyone know the effect permethrin has on insects, butterflies, etc?

06/23/2019
Another Shenandoah Nat'l Park trail [Thornton River] work trip using
DEET 25% pump formula and another [seemingly] tick free day...weeds
are up to my knees in places. The downside of permithrin for me is
that working [trail weeding] while swaddled in protective clothing is
not viable. Birding in June/July/August/September swaddled up would
seem equally a problem.

Consumer Reports recent issue [July] has a side by side
DEET/Permithrin comparison. On DEET it says in part: "Deet has
proven to be so effective at repelling ticks that it's often used as
the standard to compare the efficacy of newer repellants...

They [CR] mention recent CDC studies of "P" but it's not clear that
the studies address David M's concern...

Jim S