scala-maven-plugin 4.0.0 slowdown?

David Walend

Oct 3, 2019, 4:52:25 PM10/3/19
to Maven and Scala
I'm wrapping up an upgrade of all of my project's dependencies after a major release, and the build is taking 1.9X the time it did previously. I've bracketed the slowdown to the 4.2.0 version scala-maven-plugin, and further bracketed the change to something between 3.4.6 to 4.0.0 .

What changed between 3.4.6 and 4.0.0 that might have caused this dramatic slowdown? Is there some new bit of configuration, or some known problem with a known fix?

Thanks,

David

David Bernard

Oct 4, 2019, 2:57:49 AM10/4/19
to Maven and Scala
Hi,

Version 4.0.0 introduce the following major changes (that could be related to your issue) :
- recompileMode switch default value from "all" to "incremental"
- upgrade zinc, remove use of zinc-server (with incremental mode)

Does your project explicit set recompileMode  if not, then define it explicitly with "all" to have the same behavior than by default 3.4.x.
Else open a issue at https://github.com/davidB/scala-maven-plugin , where other dev are lurking, with information like pom.xml, timing of the execution (and maybe a sample case to reproduce).

In your description it's not clear (for me), the 1.9X times is when you switch ONLY the version of the scala--maven-plugin or it also includes the upgrade of other dependencies / plugin ?

/davidB

David Walend

Oct 4, 2019, 1:32:07 PM10/4/19
to Maven and Scala
Thanks for the starting point davidB.

The only thing I change in the pom.xml is

<scala-maven-plugin-version>3.4.6</scala-maven-plugin-version> , changing that from 3.4.6 to 4.0.0 (or 4.2.0) causes the tremendous slowdown.

<plugins>
<plugin>
<groupId>net.alchim31.maven</groupId>
<artifactId>scala-maven-plugin</artifactId>
<version>${scala-maven-plugin-version}</version>

Removing the <recompileMode>incremental</recompileMode> makes no difference I can measure. Changing to "all" maybe ten percent. (Removing all of my predecessors' optimizations of JVM switches also makes no difference I can measure. )

Shrine is a big, sprawling project, but is at least open source so others can see the problem. I'll post the question ( as a bug? ) over on GitHub.

Thanks again,

David
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maven-a...@googlegroups.com.

David Bernard

Oct 4, 2019, 1:36:48 PM10/4/19
to Maven and Scala
yes open the issue like a bug, with a link to the source of Shrine (as it's an open source project)

Thanks.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/maven-and-scala/597e295d-c908-4f56-b8b3-df1b974c7e65%40googlegroups.com.

David Walend

Oct 4, 2019, 2:29:53 PM10/4/19