Errors when use OrbitalFieldMatrix featuizer with materials project data

liu.cha...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2018, 4:45:46 AM7/4/18
to matminer
Hi, try to calculate OFM from compouds' structures in materials project.

almost structures are OK but some ones got errors.

for example:
mp_id: mp-623782

QH6214 qhull input error: not enough points(2) to construct initial simplex (need 5)

While executing:  | qhull v Qz Qc Qbb
Options selected for Qhull 2015.2.r 2016/01/18:
  run-id 1652223445  voronoi  Qz-infinity-point  Qcoplanar-keep  Qbbound-last
  _pre-merge  _zero-centrum  Qinterior-keep

This not the only one but all errors are similar.
Could you check it.

Thanks.

Logan Ward

Jul 4, 2018, 11:49:34 AM7/4/18
to liu.cha...@gmail.com, matminer

Thanks for reporting this problem!

I suspect what’s happening here is a problem in the Voronoi tessellation code used by OFM. Voronoi tessellations tend to fail for some crystal structures due to numerical issues inherent to Voronoi tessellations of high-symmetry structures. I typically see an error rate of a about 1% for crystalline materials.

I have opened an issue on Matminer that suggests we report better error messages, and a few ideas to help lower the error rate.

Best,

Logan

liu.cha...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2018, 5:10:12 AM7/5/18
to matminer
Thank you for your really quick reply. I will follow the issue.

Best,

Chang

在 2018年7月5日星期四 UTC+9上午12:49:34,Logan Ward写道:

在 2018年7月5日星期四 UTC+9上午12:49:34,Logan Ward写道: