{} around subscript makes formula not render

Daniel Barna

Oct 11, 2021, 2:26:58 AM10/11/21
to MathJax Users
Hello,
In my webpage the following formula does not render

\begin{align}
\left. \frac{\partial^k B_x}{\partial x^k} \right|_{x=y=0} &= A_{n}
\end{align}

If I remove the curly braces around the last subscript 'n', then it renders correctly. Unfortunately I need the curly braces because the index would be 'n+1'. How can this problem be overcome?
Thank you
Daniel

Daniel Barna

Oct 11, 2021, 2:39:06 AM10/11/21
to MathJax Users
After some debugging the reason is probably a preceding conversion by markdown, which in my experience is difficult to predict. Removing it fixed the problem.

Davide Cervone

Oct 23, 2021, 6:21:53 AM10/23/21
to mathja...@googlegroups.com
Yes, in Markdown, the underscore is used to indicate italics when used at word boundaries (which is why presence of the brace makes a difference).  one solution is to use a backslash to quote the underscore so that Markdown will ignore it.  E.g.,

\begin{align}
\left. \frac{\partial^k B\_x}{\partial x^k} \right|\_{x=y=0} &= A\_{n}
\end{align}

You may find that y9ou have to quote some other characters as well (e.g., \\ may have to be written \\\\ for example).

Davide