Welder Qualification (ASME Sec.IX welder can use API 1104 WPS)

Babur Khan

Jun 23, 2016, 7:21:40 AM6/23/16
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

We want to know about Welder qualification construction code is  B31.8 whereas WPS as per API 1104 and welder qualified as per ASME Sec. IX.
Project Well Heads and Facility work
Construction Code ASME B31.1 & B31.8
As per B31.8 for repair weld WPS shall be on API 1104.

Now We Have PQR material Client provided 16"x Sch.STD (9.53mm)
For 16'' Dia. Min 2 welders weld a joint.
These two welders qualify on all positions? (Ref. required because in API 1104 we not found).
2nd option is we use API 1104 WPS and Welder ASME Sec. IX qualified we can use?
Waiting for Your prompt response.

Regards,

Muhammad Babur Khan Lashari
Sr. QA/QC Inspector

(CSWIP 3.1 / CWI II From PWI)

 Khaled Juffli Industial Company

Mob: + 966 56 2179280 / 58 2774568

PAK : + 92 334 6186285

Skype: babur.lashari

E-Mail: babur...@kjgroup.com

Pravin Nimbalkar

Jul 24, 2016, 9:44:42 AM7/24/16
to Materials & Welding
1) You can't use API1104 WPS for ASME sec IX welder qualification.
2) In API 1104 and ASME sec IX there are many difference essential variables for single qualification/ Multiple Qualification/ Mechanised welder with filler addition & Automatic welding without filler metal addition
(e.g: OD grouping, Thickness groping, Filler metal grouping, Joint design not meeting the requirement of ASME sec IX)

You can proceed the welder performance according to respective code approved WPS.

Regards,
Pravin Nimbalkar
Welding Engineer
BILFAL heavy industries ltd. KSA