Welder qualified 2 7/8 OD, whether he can weld 2” NPS

MK

Sep 8, 2020, 11:57:08 PM9/8/20
to Materials & Welding
Greetings,

Kindly shower your answers for the below query,

I have a weldolet 2” NPS X 1.25 mm thk (weldolet OD 82 mm) and I want to use the welder qualified for 2 7/8 (73 mm) & over to weld the above weldolet.

Query initiated by client that as per ASME SEC IX Table QW 452.3 foot note (b) states that 2 7/8 in. (72mm) O.D. is the equivalent of NPS 2 1/2 (DN 65). In this case client says that the welder is not qualified for 2 inch NPS.

since the welder qualification essential variable is OD inline with ASME SEC IX, kindly advise.

If any reference kindly share the same.

Thanks
Murali

Murali Krishnan

Sep 8, 2020, 11:57:24 PM9/8/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Greetings,

I have a weldolet 2” NPS X OD 82 mm, I want to use the welder qualified for 2 7/8 (73 mm) & over.

Query initiated by client that as per ASME SEC IX Table QW 452.3 foot note (b) states that 2 7/8 in. (72mm) O.D. is the equivalent of NPS 2 1/2 (DN 65). In this case the welder client says welder is not qualified for 2 inch NPS.

since the welder qualification essential variable is OD inline with ASME SEC IX, kindly advice.

--

Thanks and Best Regards,

G.Murali krishnan
Mob : +966-501487307
Saudi Arabia

james gerald

Sep 9, 2020, 12:18:53 AM9/9/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
I suppose you use GTAW + SMAW process.

For GTAW you need to perform welder qualification for 2inch NPS.

Upon deposition of 2 passes the OD varies and convince your client by practically measuring the OD for SMAW process

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Sandeep Pr

Sep 9, 2020, 12:34:22 AM9/9/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Murali,

2" NPS OD will be 60.3 mm only. So You need separate qualification
for 2"NPS connection as per ASME Sec IX.

--
With Regards,

Sandeep.P.Raghavan

George Dilintas

Sep 10, 2020, 5:39:36 AM9/10/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
What matters is neither DN nor NPS. What actually matters is the actual outside diameter

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Dr. Georgios Dilintas,
Dipl. Ing. In Aeronautic and Space Engineering
Ph.D in Mechanics of Solids - Computational Mechanics
A.I.S, A.N.I, IRCA Lead Auditor
Welding, Stress Analysis, Corrosion, QA/QC, Failure Analysis, Risk Analysis

udaya bhaskar

Sep 15, 2020, 8:56:10 AM9/15/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Murali,
Welder is not eligible for 2".
Should be done separately.

Nazeer

Sep 16, 2020, 2:39:17 AM9/16/20
to Materials & Welding
Dear Mr.Murali,

Table QW-452.3 specifies the Outside Diameter of pipe, fitting, etc in Inch & mm units. Its not specifying the pipe size in NPS or DN.

Hence OD 73 mm & over qualified welder is qualified to weld 82mm OD .

For better understanding, refer the Table QW-452.3 in mm unit for 82mm OD

Thanks & Regards
Nazeer

james gerald

Sep 16, 2020, 3:45:39 AM9/16/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mr. Nazeer & All,

Weldolet comes with a Reinforcement which increases Thickness and OD and can it be considered like a Pipe.

Any reference of Code Interpretation with respect to Weldolet for welder qualification.

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Murali Krishnan

Sep 16, 2020, 11:26:17 PM9/16/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to the team for valuable suggestions and comments. ASME interpretations regarding the query. Kindly refer the below link and extract of the interpretations.

image.png
Thanks and Best Regards,

G.Murali krishnan
Mob : +966-501487307