Impact test requirement for Unlisted material (ASTM A707 L5 CL3)

aravind roche

Jun 10, 2023, 8:07:59 AM6/10/23
to Materials & Welding
Experts,

please advise below,  I believe because of our service temperature the impact test is not required, please guide me.

PQR material - A707 L5 CL3 to API 5L Gr X65
Thickness coupon: 25.4 mm
WPS qualified range is : 5 to 50.8 mm
Design code : B31.3
Qualification Standard : ASME Sec IX
Our Project MDT : 0° to 90°C
Service : Water
PWHT : Yes
Pre heat : Yes

Aravind.A

Faisal Sattar

Jun 10, 2023, 9:03:26 AM6/10/23
to material...@googlegroups.com
Impact toughness test does not only depend on service temperature only, It also depends on working fluid, for example if your pipeline is sour service then impact toughness test should be conducted fot PQR qualification.

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Faisal Sattar

Jun 10, 2023, 9:03:27 AM6/10/23
to material...@googlegroups.com
For water service, Impact test not required.

Venkadesh Lakshmanan

Jun 11, 2023, 11:06:35 PM6/11/23
to materials-welding
Impact test not required.

Regards,
Venkadesh L

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Jun 11, 2023, 11:06:35 PM6/11/23
to materials-welding
is it so. could u pl give some ref

james gerald

Jun 11, 2023, 11:06:35 PM6/11/23
to material...@googlegroups.com
ASTM A707 L5 forged product material impact tested at -60degC But API 5L X65  material for a thickness of 50.8 require Impact tests as per ASME B31.3 and hence PQR shall be impact tested

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar

0091-8838619635

aravind roche

Jun 12, 2023, 2:24:55 AM6/12/23
to Materials & Welding
Thanks for your all response,
we done the impact at -55°C in PQR, My query is our service fluid is water and service temp is 0° to 90°C, i believe then the thickness range in WPS we can use 5 mm to 50.4 mm.
Design Code: B31.3
Qualification Standard : ASME Sec IX

james gerald

Jun 12, 2023, 2:36:25 AM6/12/23