Joint catagory of WNRF flange in a pressure vessel

Umar Rashid Makrani

Feb 3, 2015, 3:57:51 AM2/3/15
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Experts,
As per UW-3, what will be the joint category of WN flange to nozzle weld. My opinion is Category B. Please advise with clarifications.

george....@gr.bureauveritas.com

Feb 3, 2015, 4:32:28 AM2/3/15
to material...@googlegroups.com

No, it is a Category C weld.
It does not matter if the flange has a neck or not.

best regards

Dr. Georgios Dilintas

Authorized Nuclear Inspector
Authorized Inspector Supervisor

I&F REGIONAL TECHNICAL MANAGER
BUREAU VERITAS PIRAEUS - GREECE

Tel: +30 210 40 63 113 /4 /5
Fax: +30 210 40 63 118
Cell: +30 69 44 64 62 04

Inactive hide details for Umar Rashid Makrani ---03/02/2015 11:19:09---Dear Experts, As per UW-3, what will be the joint categoUmar Rashid Makrani ---03/02/2015 11:19:09---Dear Experts, As per UW-3, what will be the joint category of WN flange to nozzle weld.

Visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/materials-welding.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/materials-welding/03a3c33c-d616-4b70-ae44-6720f012f486%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit
https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

This message contains confidential information. To know more, please click on the following link: http://disclaimer.bureauveritas.com

Mian gee

Feb 5, 2015, 7:23:47 AM2/5/15
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Umar,

                 If your joint is WN Flange to pipe and your pipe joint with vessel. in this case the Flage to pipe joint Category B and pipe to vessel plate joint category c.
Thanks,

george....@gr.bureauveritas.com

Feb 5, 2015, 8:12:30 AM2/5/15
to material...@googlegroups.com

Wrong, the weld attaching a flange is of category C. The type of flange is irrelevant for this categorization

best regards

Dr. Georgios Dilintas

Authorized Nuclear Inspector
Authorized Inspector Supervisor

I&F REGIONAL TECHNICAL MANAGER
BUREAU VERITAS PIRAEUS - GREECE

Tel: +30 210 40 63 113 /4 /5
Fax: +30 210 40 63 118
Cell: +30 69 44 64 62 04

Inactive hide details for Mian gee ---05/02/2015 14:28:54---Dear Umar,Mian gee ---05/02/2015 14:28:54---Dear Umar,

From: Mian gee <aami...@gmail.com>
To: material...@googlegroups.com
Date: 05/02/2015 14:28
Subject: [MW:22813] Re: Joint catagory of WNRF flange in a pressure vessel
Sent by: material...@googlegroups.com

Visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/materials-welding

LALU RAJENDRAN

Feb 5, 2015, 10:36:53 AM2/5/15
to material...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

It is C, please see figure UW-3.

Regards,
LALU

LINKS MIDDLE EAST

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 12:57 PM, Umar Rashid Makrani <firoz....@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Experts,
As per UW-3, what will be the joint category of WN flange to nozzle weld. My opinion is Category B. Please advise with clarifications.

Arunachalam A

Feb 5, 2015, 1:14:35 PM2/5/15
to material...@googlegroups.com
It is C.

Arunachalam.A,
Abu Dhabi
00-971-50-5257122

LINUS

Feb 6, 2015, 9:48:51 AM2/6/15
to material...@googlegroups.com
For WNRF Flange it is B. There is also an interpretation on this. Shall locate and post

M.M. Sunilkumar

Feb 22, 2015, 9:46:04 AM2/22/15
to material...@googlegroups.com
Pl find below the interpretation. I believe I misrepresented in earlier mail.

Interpretation:  VIII-1-89-33
Subject:         Section VIII, Division 1 (1986 Edition, 1987 Addenda), UW-3
Date Issued:     October 26, 1988
File:            BC88-245, VIII-1

Question:  A welding neck flange is welded with a butt weld at the tapered end of the flange extension to the pipe nozzle.  Is this joint a Category C joint by location in UW-3(a)(3)?

Reply:  Yes.