Crack in Duplex S.S material

ABHISHEK SINGH

Jan 27, 2015, 6:29:23 AM1/27/15
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Experts,
We got longitudinal crack on material SA240UNS31803 (D.S.S material).This is found after RT.Following consumable we used: Wire-ER2209,Flux-15W(Sandvik).

Please share your experiance regarding this.

Thanks & Regards
Abhishek

Jian Xu

Apr 12, 2015, 11:18:02 PM4/12/15
to material...@googlegroups.com

Dear Abhishek,

Maybe you should check the whole welding process whether is corrdance with WPS . And you can do some basic test for the failure part, such as ferrite content.
To confirm root cause, then identify which welding process generate impact.

Thanks
Leon

Jim Price

Apr 13, 2015, 10:55:12 PM4/13/15
to material...@googlegroups.com

What grade of duplex are you welding?

Lean or Super governs the amount of heat input allowed.

What welding process are you using? What shielding gas are you using?

Jim

Ramin Kondori

Apr 14, 2015, 7:12:07 AM4/14/15
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Abhishek

Please provide us with more info as following:

  1. When did crack appear (immediately after welding or after a couple of days or in service...?)
  2. A photo of the crack (is the crack in weld of HAZ...?)
  3. Is the crack in root side of face...?
  4. Thickness of material
  5. Heat input during welding (KJ/mm)
  6. Did you control inter-pass temp...?
  7. Did you use any gas for back purge...?

Best Regards

Ramin Kondori

Sr. QA/QC engineer

Yadavaran Oilfield Project