Mystery Welding Symbol - Please Assist

TheCanadianWelder

Jan 22, 2015, 9:27:31 AM1/22/15
to material...@googlegroups.com
I have a question about a welding symbol that has been driving me crazy.

I am reviewing a shop drawing for a sub-contracted steel fabricator, and I can't for the life of me find any information on the tail symbol in their drawing, which I have highlighted in the attachment. It is welding an angle to a square HSS. The symbol is not covered in the CISC Handbook of Steel Construction, and I have looked all over the internet, to no avail.

Can anyone provide information on its meaning?? Additionally, I am very curious as to its origin, or where it is standardized.

- Curt
Uncommon Weld Symbol Tail.PNG

Bob Shaw - SSTC

Jan 22, 2015, 11:07:00 AM1/22/15
to material...@googlegroups.com

The symbol in the png was not very clear, but I would speculate that this non-standard symbol in the tail is to call for an end return (also termed boxing) is to be provided. See Figure E.14.E in W59-13.

Rémi Rigaudière

Jan 23, 2015, 12:34:26 AM1/23/15
to material...@googlegroups.com
Isn't that more related to the beam anchoring?

Sateesh Babu E

Jan 23, 2015, 6:41:54 AM1/23/15
to material...@googlegroups.com

Symbol indicates welding to be done 3 sides only  as per the given template size..

Regards,
E Sateesh babu.
    .

Tim Lim

Jan 25, 2015, 12:32:17 AM1/25/15
to material...@googlegroups.com
Hi Curt, a simple solution would be to ask the party that made that drawing. As far as I know, the tail of a welding symbol is reserved for welding notes. It can either be left open or boxed. No specific weld symbol is expected to be attached there.

Best regards,
Tim