USE of PQR of 10.97mm GTAW+SMAW for new WPS GTAW process only

Ajay Kaipuram

Apr 11, 2023, 11:02:58 PM4/11/23
to Materials & Welding
I have a PQR of 10.97mm Test coupon GTAW(3.5mm)+SMAW(7.47mm) in groove Joint, ASME Sec IX .

Can I prepare a new WPS for GTAW only for the Job with thickness 5.08mm groove joints? If Yes, What thickness range need to be mentioned in the WPS? 5mm to 7mm is Ok?

james gerald

Apr 11, 2023, 11:29:05 PM4/11/23
to material...@googlegroups.com
There are 2 thickness involved, Base metal (BM)Thickness and Weld metal (WM)thickness. Yes, you can prepare a separate WPS for GTAW from the PQR.

When Impact test is Applicable.

BM thickness Qualified,  minimum is 10.97mm so you cannot prepare a GTAW WPS.

When Impact test is not Applicable

BM thickness Qualified,  5mm to 7.0mm (though maximum is 21.94mm)

WM thickness Qualified is maximum 7mm

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Ajay Kaipuram

Apr 12, 2023, 11:14:48 PM4/12/23
to Materials & Welding
Thanks Mr. Jayakumar,

The impact test is No Applicable to our job.

Still, I have some doubts about preparing the WPS. Can you please review the area highlighted in the below screenshot? If changes are required, please let me know.

Screenshot 2023-04-12 123448.png

Thanks

Ajay.

james gerald

Apr 12, 2023, 11:59:20 PM4/12/23
to material...@googlegroups.com
Ajay since you are preparing a WPS for GTAW only, Your WPS requires no changes, highlighted values are OK

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar