Which code states the distance between the weld .

Anil Hegde

Mar 17, 2013, 5:29:05 AM3/17/13
to material...@googlegroups.com, palage...@yahoo.co.in
Dear Expert ,

We have a 36 inch pipe which is welded type ,On it We have 12 inch connection which is coming on the ( long seam ) of the pipe .

Is There any code which says we can or cannot do welding on long seam of the pipe .

Requesting you for your positive feedback .

Regards
Anil Hegde

HAREESH K V

Mar 18, 2013, 2:39:43 AM3/18/13
to materials-welding
Please refer 304.3.3 (Reinforcement for welded branch connection) of ASME B 31.3 ( on the assumption as your construction code)

Refer the definition of t=Pressure design thk of pipe. The thickness calculation for reinforcement pad is based on whether it is intersecting a longitudinal weld or not.

So as the code has given of both options (with intersecting and without intersecting), the welding is acceptable as per my opinion.

Normally the thickness of pad and welding details which is given in project standards will be on the assumption that the branch is not intersecting a longitudinal weld, If it does then the designer has to recalculate the reinforcement pad details.

As a good engineering practice, it should be avoided and it is the prime responsibility of Fabricator and site engineer to avoid this.

Please see further opinions from experts of this group before coming to a conclusion.

----------------------
Hareesh K V
+91-9447625012

K.Malarventhan

Mar 17, 2013, 7:03:22 AM3/17/13
to material...@googlegroups.com, palage...@yahoo.co.in
HI,

Please refer AWS D1.1 and ABS Modu Part 2 , IACS 46/47: Only little info available in codes/stds in above said topic. Thanks

Thanks & regards,

K.Babu
Singapore

Raghuram Bathula

Mar 18, 2013, 6:04:27 AM3/18/13
to material...@googlegroups.com
Interesting, i do agree we have to avoid as far as possible this intersection, however in my opinion it may not be necessary to recalculate the RF pad details, as the product of SEW is already taken care while internal pressure design calculations per 304.1.2.

any example where this will differ? i mean selection of S only

i have changed the subject line to suit this topic now.

HAREESH K V

Mar 18, 2013, 9:05:29 AM3/18/13
to materials-welding
That means, there is no design problem/integrity problem when we are adding a branch to a seam pipe having 100% seam radiography (Weld efficiency Ej=1).

If it is a seam pipe with  less than 100% radiography, then there is an uncertainty factor about the integrity of the joint and to be considered.

Some engineers/clients accept the intersection of branch with the radiography of seam of run pipe to 200mm on both sides, may be this will overcome the uncertainty
[spot radiography is a method of accepting the branch intersection in unavoidable circumstances (like double seamed pipe)]

Am i right?

Pradeep kumar hormis

Mar 18, 2013, 8:27:15 AM3/18/13
to material...@googlegroups.com
 Sir

           In my knowledge only client specification can find with exact information about the distance between two adjacent butt welds or pressure containing welds.example aramco SAEPs mentioned minimum 20 mm or 5 times of wall thickness whichever is greater.
Thanks & Regards

PRADEEPKUMAR HORMIS
QC WELDING INSPECTOR
ARAMCO PROJECT(JEDDAH REFINERY)
Mob:+966 - 59 11 36 36 9

Raghuram Bathula

Mar 19, 2013, 1:59:00 AM3/19/13
to material...@googlegroups.com
Seems logical
However whether Ej is 1 or 0.85 which is already taken care while calculating the straight pipe thickness as per para 304.1.2, and usually the same pipe will be used for run/branch.

Ezat Adel

Mar 19, 2013, 9:56:45 AM3/19/13
to material...@googlegroups.com

Dear all ,

As per DEP 61.40.20.30 the minimum distance between the weld toe of any branch or attachment weld and that of a similar weld or girth weld shall be 100 mm or 4t ,whichever is larger.

Regards
Eng.Ezat Adel

Dindo

Mar 19, 2013, 4:42:57 PM3/19/13
to material...@googlegroups.com
DEP is a Shell Specification, isn't it?

sa...@pcmc.sa

Mar 30, 2017, 7:42:46 AM3/30/17
to Materials & Welding, palage...@yahoo.co.in
where it is given AWSD1.1

PCMC Notice: “This email and its contents are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are requested not to disclose or use the information contained in it. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by return email and delete the email and any attachments from your device. Statements and opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the sender and do not necessarily reflect those of PCMC. PCMC and its employees accept no liability for any damage caused by any virus/error transmitted by this email

Perumal Govindan

Mar 30, 2017, 11:21:51 PM3/30/17
to material...@googlegroups.com, palage...@yahoo.co.in

Dear Anil,

You change the orientation or rotate the LSAW pipe (main pipe) if possible.

Otherwise get clarification or approval from your design engineering.

Once approved you can do
Welding.

Please note that after welding of branch pipe (with or without RF Pad), additional radiography of 150 mm (both sides) shall be taken on main pipe long seam weld to ensure the weld metal soundness.

The above radiography requirement is  more enough to satisfy the Client.

Regards
P Govindan

The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Materials & Welding" group.