Useing wrong Flux in welding with SAW

Hamid Firoozi

Jan 30, 2015, 9:58:24 PM1/30/15
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Experts

Our production department used wrong Flux in welding with SAW process ,please give me idea about it

in WPS mentioned Lincoln 880M and they used Lincoln 880  ...material is API 5l X65 to API 5L X65.

please give a idea about this issue , and let me know if ASME section 9 has a way to confirm this issue .

Thanks

Sergio Antonio Muñoz Pinzón

Jan 31, 2015, 12:08:38 PM1/31/15
to material...@googlegroups.com
Pelase inform what wire are you using, and what construction code, do you have impact requierements?

Sergio Muñoz
IWE-IIW
http://weld-ING.tk

S.Mohammed

Feb 1, 2015, 7:12:32 AM2/1/15
to material...@googlegroups.com
hamid,

i.reviewed lincoln spec.

880M will g8ve.good impact result over 880 flux.
reason.is basicity.index of 880M is.more than 880.

compare wps impact result and existing production with 880 impact result.
if matching okey or.else you.will have scrape all weld.

Hamid Firoozi

Feb 1, 2015, 11:34:07 AM2/1/15
to material...@googlegroups.com
Sergio
Impact is required on -4 31/22 and Wire is EA3K

Thanks

Vanchinath S.A.

Feb 1, 2015, 11:30:32 PM2/1/15
to material...@googlegroups.com

If wire flux classification is same for both fluxes it can be used without new qualification. Only wps can be revised. Vanchi

Sergio Antonio Muñoz Pinzón

Feb 4, 2015, 3:19:56 PM2/4/15
to material...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

As vanchi wrote it's important to review flux/wire class and the others essential variables

For lincoln 880-flux, and LA90-wire (EA3K), lincoln classified as F8A4
For lincoln 880M-flux, and LA90-wire, lincoln classified as F9A6

The second one has more mechanical strength, and more impact resistance,

In your are manufacturing API 5L jointers, or pipes, you will notice that API consider essential variables the following also:

1) change in the filler metal classification,
2) when impact tests are required, a change in the consumable brand name,
6) change in submerged-arc welding flux from one designation to another;

We see that API requirement is more stringent than ASME IX, to solve this problem you need to requalified with the 880 flux.

Sergio Muñoz
IWE-IIW
http://Weld-ING.tk