API 1104 - WELDING PROGRESSION

Chandra Sekhar

Apr 25, 2016, 2:39:50 AM4/25/16
to Materials & Welding
Hello everyone,

I need to clarify the requirements of essential variables as described in API 1104.

We had conduction PQR's for API5L X70 material Butt Weld (5G position) in 36 inches x 22.23mm Wall Thickness as described below:

WPS 001

ROOT PASS: SMAW - E6010 - WELDING PROGRESSION - VERTICAL UPHILL
HOT    PASS: SMAW - E8010-P1 - WELDING PROGRESSION - VERTICAL UPHILL
FILL & CAP  : FCAW - E81T8-G - WELDING PROGRESSION - VERTICAL DOWNHILL

WPS 002

ROOT PASS: SMAW - E6010 - WELDING PROGRESSION - VERTICAL UPHILL
HOT    PASS: SMAW - E8010-P1 - WELDING PROGRESSION - VERTICAL DOWNHILL
FILL & CAP  : SMAW - E8010-P1 - WELDING PROGRESSION - VERTICAL DOWNHILL

With reference to the above parameters, we had conducted PQR's for both WPS on the same material and size. And the Mechanical test results had not proved any significant differences. I need to know why should I not write a WPS with the reference of the above 2 PQR's with HOT PASS welding progression as Vertical Uphill / Downhill.

With Regards,
R.Chandrasekhar
QC Engineer

Parag Pansare

May 2, 2016, 11:19:37 PM5/2/16
to material...@googlegroups.com

Dear Mr. Chandra Sekhar,

Change in welding progression is an essential variable as per API 1104.
Hence it is to be written separately and not together with slash (/).

Regards,

PARAG PANSARE

--
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/MaterialsWelding-122787?home=&gid=122787&trk=anet_ug_hm
The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.

CHANDRASEKHAR RAMACHANDRAN

May 3, 2016, 9:39:43 AM5/3/16
to material...@googlegroups.com

Dear Mr. Parag,
Thank you very much. But the issue is the progression reversal had been done on the same material (x70) and same sizes in the PQRS but with different processes. In this case can I write WPS with different progressions for the hot pass seperately.

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/materials-welding/CAHB_ypDPyRWcawsowz8E68%2BNwz4gseBsrV7Vf2UZDzaVFsjR%3Dg%40mail.gmail.com.

Parag Pansare

May 5, 2016, 12:01:01 AM5/5/16
to material...@googlegroups.com

Dear Mr. Chandrasekhar,

The welding process and progression both are essential variables, so you cannot write or club it together.
So in short for your each WPS you need to separately have only one qualified PQR.

Regards,
PARAG PANSARE