filler material between 304L and 316L

Chiranjeevi A

May 8, 2021, 12:09:38 AM5/8/21
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Experts,

     At the site 308L filler wire used for the Pipe joint between 304L and 316L.  After doing the PMI QC rejected the joints and suggesting to use 316 filler.

   Experts kindly share the details of the code reference to accept or any procedure to avoid cutting 20joints.

james gerald

May 8, 2021, 1:07:41 AM5/8/21
to material...@googlegroups.com
You can use either ER316L or ER308L welding consumable.

below from API 582

Inline image

AWS D 1.6 recommends 308L as below.

Inline image

Technically the Base metal dissimilar (304L & 316L) will be subjected to the same process fluid as the weld metal lower or higher side.

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Vinay Thattey

May 8, 2021, 8:41:50 AM5/8/21
to material...@googlegroups.com
please share a basis for rejection..

Ramon Briceno

May 8, 2021, 8:41:50 AM5/8/21
to material...@googlegroups.com

Dear Chiranjeevi  for  this 304L / 316L weld, a qualified WPS should have been used where the filler material was superior metallurgy for the joint. In this case, use type 316L filler material to achieve adequate Mo content as protection against intergranular corrosion by chlorides, for example.

Sorry, I think you're going to have to cut those 20 welds made with 308L.

In all Codes and Standards, good welding practices indicate the correct combination.

Regards,

Ramon Briceno

Metallurgical Engineer.

Amon

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Arun Padman

May 8, 2021, 9:01:04 AM5/8/21
to material...@googlegroups.com
You can refer to API RP 577 APPENDIX D,

But it's an RP, not a standard.

As per   API RP 577 APPENDIX D you can use both 308L and 316L filler wire.

Regards,

Arun Padman Manayil

Plant Inspector

Tel:+974 50577156

  Save a tree. Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to

Ramon Briceno

May 9, 2021, 11:46:41 PM5/9/21
to material...@googlegroups.com

Dear Arun,

From the Recommended Practice API 577: "Welding Processes, Inspection, and Metallurgy", it is achieved:

Annex D, Table D.2 reads: —Common Welding Consumables for SMAW of Carbon and Low-allow Steel.

It should say: —Common Welding Consumables for SMAW of Stainless Steel.

This table contains the Base Metal combination for stainless steels.

If we observe, it has three calls: 1, 2, 3.

Call 2, says: "The higher alloy electrode specified in the table is normally preferred".

This confirms that if you have two different Base metals (304L and 316L, for example) within the same SS family, the electrode that is chosen is the one that contains more alloying elements compatible with the higher alloyed base metal. In this case, the welding electrode for the combination 304L / 316L should be E-316L. (AWS A5.4 Classification E316L-XX).

It is understood that the weldability in this combination is maintained, regardless of whether you use E-308L or E-316L.

The service, the current of the fluid that is handled, would be the determining factor to use one or the other.

Regards,

Ramon Briceno

Metallurgical Engineer.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Vanchinath S.A.

May 9, 2021, 11:46:41 PM5/9/21
to material...@googlegroups.com
You can use either of filler metal for dissimilar joint between 304L and 316L.

Xuân Thông

May 9, 2021, 11:46:41 PM5/9/21
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sir,
I think noproblem for mechanical properties of weld joind
You shoud be use the filler metal 316L if when chemical is required
In this case, base metal is 304L and 316L, so I think no special requirement

Vào Th 7, 8 thg 5, 2021 vào lúc 20:01 Arun Padman <arunpad...@gmail.com> đã viết:

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

May 10, 2021, 2:59:50 AM5/10/21
to materials-welding

Mani

May 10, 2021, 7:07:44 AM5/10/21
to material...@googlegroups.com

P Number & Group  Number are same for 304L & 316L.( P8 & Gr-1)

For the consumables , it has the same F Number  & A Number. ( F-6 & A-8)

So it is acceptable...

Thanks & Regards,

Mani

Ganesh Muthurajan

May 12, 2021, 2:31:47 AM5/12/21
to material...@googlegroups.com
Gents.

Apart from the PMI Rejection, as per WPS (also PQR) which filler and electrode  you are using.

I. If the PQR and WPS having qualified for 304L and 316L for 308L.
  There is no issue with PMI Rejection.

But. As per ASME B 31.3
We have always select lower tensile and higher chemical analysis.

Selection of filler ASME SEC 2C .

In this case we gave to go for 316L

--
Screenshot_20210512-102631_Office.jpg
Screenshot_20210512-102431_Office.jpg

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

May 12, 2021, 11:20:46 PM5/12/21
to materials-welding

Ron Mays

May 13, 2021, 12:39:45 AM5/13/21
to material...@googlegroups.com
Stainless steel is commonly used for its corrosion resistance properties.
When welding different grades together, consideration should be given to the selection of a filler metal that provides the mechanical properties required and the weld ferrite content.

Ron Mays

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

May 13, 2021, 11:51:47 PM5/13/21
to materials-welding
Mo  also increase delta ferrite which is inferior for resistance corrosion. Mo is good for pitting or previa corrosion resistance.

Chiranjeevi A

May 14, 2021, 12:51:49 AM5/14/21
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear sirs,

 Thank you so much for your valuable suggestions and technical support.

 We are doing new PQR and WPS for 304L/316L with filler material 308L and also with 316L.

Thanks and Regards