Fwd: Nozzle crack propagation

Chiranjeevi A

Oct 16, 2019, 11:28:13 PM10/16/19
to material...@googlegroups.com

Dear All,
   Please find the attached snap, we found a crack circumferentially. The nozzle size is 6" and the material is SS.

  The following plant is under construction and the vessel erected around 1yr back. There is an argument that because of pipe loads that are not supported yet, it created tension and lead to crack.  Even I surprised that how a steel material started cracked like brittle for just for a few external loads. (This not the correct reason)

I clearly explained that any steel material that we design to be below the yield value. When the load beyond the ultimate limit it leads to fatigue and finally crack. This situation we can expect in operation if there is cyclic loading and the connected piping not supported properly. (which is an impossible situation).

 Finally, I suspect that
 - the material of the nozzle is not SS. (Maybe zinc coated)
- (or) Because of  corrosion
13-V-01-2.jpeg
(or) during welding, it created a weaker section and started crack initiation for the external loads.

Experts kindly share your opinion and suggestions.

Thanks & Regards

Raghuram Bathula

Oct 16, 2019, 11:44:16 PM10/16/19
to Materials-Welding
i have experienced such failures in the past  on a high alloy material probably occurred during piercing operations in the forging process. Piercing operations generally
produce relatively high tensile and shear deformation in the material at the weld neck portion of the flange, typically due to inadequate working temperature during piercing operation, can result in cracking.
is it hydro tested?  these may not be visible while receipt inspection, will start propagating after welding, hydro etc.
did you confirm the grade of SS with PMI? do extend cross check with PT on similar heat/ same supplier

image.png

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Oct 16, 2019, 11:49:43 PM10/16/19
to materials-welding
While Welding how u managed Zinc evaporation.

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Prasanta Kumar Pal

Oct 17, 2019, 3:54:00 AM10/17/19
to material...@googlegroups.com
check with a magnet to ensure the material of construction. Then go for next step of investigation
P K Pal

Chiranjeevi A

Oct 17, 2019, 3:54:01 AM10/17/19
to material...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much raghutam for your valuable information.

Even I requested to go PMI test. Since the pipe material is A312 TP 316L and nozzle flange A182 TP 304L.

But the MAPAF department says they didn't find any crack during erection ( no images during the erection period).

Since the connected equipment is deareator the vessel already tested at shop and the connected pipes are tested seperatly long back ( not with the equipment) and after blowing connected to the respective equipment.

Are you agreed the material of the nozzle is SS ar per the site photo I attached. I suspect it is not SS.i need to add one more point that the vessel is A516bgr 70 and the nozzle is SS do you feel any possibility of this problem is due to dissimilar welding. Pls share your opinions

Thanks and regards

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Hernan Arturo Castillo Mier

Oct 17, 2019, 11:24:13 PM10/17/19
to material...@googlegroups.com

Hello

Initially, in my opinion there is not SS flange, but you can check, by using the devise for that.

This corrosion evidence indicate that the material isn´t SS.

According to the picture, the crack is far away from the weld. We can suppose that that the failure in not associated to the welding process, but the material quality.

Hernán Castillo Mier

Ingeniero Senior Confiabilidad e Integridad

FACILITADOR AUTORIDAD TÉCNICA EQUIPO ESTÁTICO

INSPECTOR AUTORIZADO

API 510 (33119)

Avantel: 8*1571

Teléfono: 668-2396

--

https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Este mensaje puede contener información de tipo personal, clasificada o reservada; si usted no es el destinario, por favor, hacer caso omiso de su contenido y abstenerse de compartirlo, reenviarlo o copiarlo. Si recibe este mensaje por error, agradecemos informarlo inmediatamente al remitente y borrarlo permanentemente de su cuenta. Si usted está autorizado para recibir la información de tipo personal, se le recuerda que esta información debe ser manejada con la finalidad con la que ha sido solicitada y en virtud de la normativa que habilita el acceso a la misma. Así mismo, deberá ser usada bajo los parámetros de la ley 1581 de 2012 de protección de datos personales y la normativa que la desarrolla, siendo responsabilidad del área receptora del cumplimiento de la citada normativa de protección de datos personales. CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic transmission (including any files attached hereto) (this "Communication") contains information that is or may be legally privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure without our express permission in advance. The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or any employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, copying, distribution, or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this electronic Communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this Communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy permanently the transmitted information in its entirety and do not disclose its contents to any other person. Para conocer la Declaración de Tratamiento de Datos Personales de Ecopetrol, favor consultarla en www.ecopetrol.com.co Responsabilidad Corporativa – Declaración de Tratamiento de Datos Personales.

Hemant W Joshi

Oct 18, 2019, 2:14:32 AM10/18/19
to material...@googlegroups.com

One thing is clear and that the corrosion has spread on the flange also as on the pipe. The flange is a   slip on flange .

Is the crack a full circumferential or is it limited to what the photo is showing?

Can we have the photo of the other 180 degree view?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Information transmitted by this E-MAIL is intended only for the use of the addressee(s) and contains information that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination and or copying of this email in any manner is strictly prohibited and you are requested to delete this e-mail immediately. Communicating through e-mail is not secure and capable of interception and delays. Any one communicating with TATA Consulting Engineers Ltd., and / or its subsidiaries or associates or group companies by e-mail accepts the risks involved and their consequences. While this e-mail has been checked for all known viruses, the addressee should also scan for viruses and notify the originator of e-mail. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dinesh Somwanshi

Oct 18, 2019, 2:14:32 AM10/18/19
to materials-welding
Dear sir,

I may feel crack due to 🔨 hammer or I. Proper handling & propagate after heat.

Regards

Dinesh

harenath jha

Oct 21, 2019, 9:36:40 AM10/21/19
to material...@googlegroups.com
This is not ss material... Because in ss will not have such type/ pattern of corrosion

César Alexis Viteri Pérez

Oct 21, 2019, 9:36:40 AM10/21/19
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mr Chiranjeevi,

1. Seems that stainless Is not so stainless,
2. Crack follows a stress riser and seems fragile.
Then options are:
Fatigue, that depends on stress (under Sy because non yelding evidence) and cicles.
Corrosión fatigue
Not so probable but embritlement also .

More info check API 571

Saludos