WELDER QUALIFICATION CERTIFICATE RENEWAL AS PER ASME SEC. IX

Manoj John

Jan 21, 2017, 4:13:24 AM1/21/17
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Friends,

We have qualified welders in groove welding (GTAW+SMAW) as per ASME section IX but they have welded 2 months butt welding and 4 months they welded only fillet joints. Now they completed 6 months and they are continuing welding.

My question is how can we renew their certificates since they do not have any Radiography reports for fillet joints.  Can we renew their certificate with a visual inspection report.

Thanks & Regards.

Manoj John.

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Jan 21, 2017, 9:17:26 AM1/21/17
to materials-welding
As per ASME IX, Renewal only for qualified Welding Process, with fillet weld u can

THANKS & BEST REGARDS,
KG.PANDITHAN, IWE,  AWS-CWI, CSWIP 3.1,
CONSULTANT-WELDING & QUALITY
Mobile no: +919940739349

On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 2:42 PM, Manoj John <manoj...@gmail.com> wrote:
Boxbe This message is eligible for Automatic Cleanup! (manoj...@gmail.com) Add cleanup rule | More info
--
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/MaterialsWelding-122787?home=&gid=122787&trk=anet_ug_hm
The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.

anand gupta

Jan 21, 2017, 9:17:39 AM1/21/17
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear
if welder under six months then they can weld but over six months then they have re test.

a p gupta
saudi

On Sat, 21 Jan, 2017 at 2:42 PM, Manoj John
--
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/MaterialsWelding-122787?home=&gid=122787&trk=anet_ug_hm
The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.

George Dilintas

Jan 24, 2017, 9:57:27 PM1/24/17
to Meghanadh K
The Code requires to have welded with the specific process within six months. No other requirement is set

--
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/MaterialsWelding-122787?home=&gid=122787&trk=anet_ug_hm
The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.

Dr. Georgios Dilintas,
Dipl. Ing. In Aeronautic and Space Engineering
Ph.D in Mechanics of Solids - Computational Mechanics
A.I.S, A.N.I, IRCA Lead Auditor
Welding, Stress Analysis, Corrosion, QA/QC, Failure Analysis, Risk Analysis

Manoj John

Jan 25, 2017, 3:51:24 AM1/25/17
to material...@googlegroups.com
What evidence we can documented in such cases if there is no NDT.  Always everybody is looking for RT reports.

Thanks,

Manoj John

Jan 25, 2017, 3:51:27 AM1/25/17
to material...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your reply,
but what is the proof we can provide for his continuity of welding, always everybody is asking radiography report.  RT reports or any other NDT reports may not be available in some cases, like fillet weld.

ECHARU

Jan 26, 2017, 1:38:52 AM1/26/17
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,
Please guide him correctly. Everybody knows ur answers- RT everybody expecting one. He asking about fillet weld, as per my concern you can do PT. Otherwise follow your ITP requirements for NDE. As same your situation Iam doing PT and attaching ( If no projects for concern qualifications). If u have project insist them to specific welding process before 6month. Same think need to concentrate on tack welder also..... It my option is wrong please clarify me.

MAHARAJA Elavarasan

John Henning

Jan 26, 2017, 11:36:40 AM1/26/17
to material...@googlegroups.com

What your customer is demanding is different than what the Code requires.  There is NO requirement in ASME Section IX that the weld be inspected in any way, volumetric or otherwise.  The requirement is to only to determine that the process was used by the welder.

Other Codes, EN in particular, require that the weld used for prolongation of qualification be volumetrically examined.  This NOT required by ASME Section IX.

If you are fabricating in accordance with an ASME Code and using Section IX for qualification, then the issue is contractual, i.e. solely between the fabricator and customer.  Just because your customers are specifying a requirement does not make it a Code requirement.

While there may be some justification for such a requirement, it becomes a logistical nightmare and just another reason why European fabrication is outrageously expensive.

Perumal Govindan

Jan 27, 2017, 1:06:10 AM1/27/17
to material...@googlegroups.com
Hi Manoj,

You can renew the qualification of a welder as per clause QW-322.1 a) (1) of ASME Section IX: 2015 Edition, ie. If a welder works continuously under the supervision and control of the certifying personnel / organisation, his qualification will be extended for another 6 months without any NDT reports, weld visual report is enough.

I believe the above is in order, I request experts kindly interprate above and correct me if I am wrong.

Regards
Govindan P

http://www.linkedin.com/groups/MaterialsWelding-122787?home=&gid=122787&trk=anet_ug_hm
The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.

George Dilintas

Jan 27, 2017, 9:21:28 AM1/27/17
to Meghanadh K
NDT reports are not the only objective evidence.
Weld maps, welding logs could also provide objective evidence that no interruption using this process longer than 6 months occured

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Jan 28, 2017, 3:36:06 AM1/28/17
to materials-welding

Make Welder log and welder continuity record for proof that the welder engagement for that qualified process. NDT proof not at  all required as per ASME Sec9, but it is required as per ISO 9606 for prolongation. As John said, if it is client requirement, Code is not applicable.

Boxbe This message is eligible for Automatic Cleanup! (dili...@gmail.com) Add cleanup rule | More info