3 Cycle PWHT requirements acc.to ASME

K K

Jun 22, 2020, 12:32:58 AM6/22/20
to Materials & Welding
Dear All,

Please describe to me regarding 3 cycle PWHT requirements as per ASME.

If my PQR tested with two coupons where I required one more test coupon and additional one more for repair.

Please explain to me in detail and related to mechanical testing for PWHT.

What is the meaning of this paragraph - **an additional one PWHT cycle shall be incorporated to simulate field repair or modification.**

Thanks and Regards
Kiran

Peter Soloman

Jun 23, 2020, 2:13:19 AM6/23/20
to Materials & Welding
Dear Kiran,
Once PWHT competed for joints due to modification cut/reweld or repair re PWHT required that particular joints.
it is mention in the procedure is enough to do the job. This you can mention in your weld repair procedure.
Regards,
PETER SOLOMAN

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

K K

Jun 24, 2020, 2:40:59 AM6/24/20
to Materials & Welding
Thanks for your support.

Regarding PWHT of 3 cycles.

Below I have mentioned my PQR ranges for PWHT.

POST WELD HEAT TREATMENT( QW-407)
TEMPERATURE RANGE 630 ±10° C
SOAKING PERIOD 190Min
HEATING RATE 190°C/Hours Max
COOLING RATE 190°C/Hours Max.
As per the above range, it's qualified 3 cycles, but how? and for 3 Cycles PWHT where I required test coupons? how many coupons tests shall I have conduct?
Please clarify my above query in detail with code.

Thanks once again.

Kiran

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 7:32 AM K K <kara...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear All,

Please describe to me regarding 3 cycle PWHT requirements as per ASME.

If my PQR tested with two coupons where I required one more test coupon and additional one more for repair.

Please explain to me in detail and related to mechanical testing for PWHT.

What is the meaning of this paragraph - **an additional one PWHT cycle shall be incorporated to simulate field repair or modification.**

Thanks and Regards
Kiran

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

K K

Jun 26, 2020, 1:12:46 AM6/26/20
to Materials & Welding
Dear All,

Expertise can you please see my query, Can I get the solution to the below query.

How to Calculate 3 cycle PWHT, What are the requirements? please explain to me in detail.

What are the initial requirements and what are mechanical and hardness requirements?

Please explain to me in detail with a step vise.

I hope i will get a good response from the Materials & Welding team and from Expertise.

Thanks

Kiran

MW

Jun 26, 2020, 1:19:58 AM6/26/20
to Materials & Welding
testing requirements are same as when you qualify a new PQR.
only additional is that test coupon will be subjected to heat treatment 3 times (3 cycles)

K K

Jun 26, 2020, 2:01:34 AM6/26/20
to Materials & Welding
Dear Sir,

Please explain to me in detail, from begins regarding PWHT and Time according to ASME requirements for 3 cyclesPWHT.

james gerald

Jun 26, 2020, 4:53:39 AM6/26/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Is the Heat Treatment required for Plates or for the Welds.

If it is for the Plates during the procurement stage, then you need to follow the same Heat Treatment simulating the exact condition it undergoes.

1. Initial Heat Treatment for the Plates will be the first cycle.
2. PWHT after welding will be the second cycle
3. Taking into account the Repair after PWHT will be the 3rd cycle.

You can simulate the same condition on one coupon and undergo the test as per Material standard.

If it is for Welds, then you can apply PWHT in one cycle as the snap short  below.

Inline image

One Coupon and the testing requirements as per ASME Sec.IX and applicable specifications.

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar

Kiran Ekbote

Jun 26, 2020, 11:35:58 AM6/26/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Sir,

  Thanks for your reply,

Heat Treatment required for the Weld.
can you describe more on this topic, regarding Mechanical test and hardness test?
What is the time required for one cycle and for 3 cycles?

--

KIRAN

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Jun 26, 2020, 11:36:29 AM6/26/20
to materials-welding
QW 407.2. is it not applicable to impact requirements.

james gerald

Jun 26, 2020, 11:08:47 PM6/26/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Please provide the ASME Code reference where the 3 cycle PWHT is specified to understand your exact requirement.

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar

José Juan Jiménez Alejandro

Jun 27, 2020, 2:51:22 AM6/27/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
I have never seen in the ASME Code (Section I and VIII Div. 1) that mentions anything about three cycles of a PWHT, the PWHT tables in these two ASME sections are very clear in terms of materials, times and temperatures.
Regards!.

--

Ing. José Juan Jiménez Alejandro

Independent Consultant in Parts

and Pressure Equipment

SSI-TPI

Móvil +52 1 812 352 4606

Skype: jjjimeneza

HENNING John

Jun 27, 2020, 11:31:53 PM6/27/20
to material...@googlegroups.com

There is no requirement within ASME Section I or Section VIII to perform a simulated PWHT for three cycles.  This a common requirement in petro-chemical specifications and, occasionally, other customer specifications.

See Section VIII, Division 1, UCS-85, “Heat Treatment of Test Specimens” for base metal simulated heat treatment requirements.  This is typically a single cycle mimicking the production heat treatment.

There is no comparable requirement in ASME Section I.

Hope this helps.  Code is fun.

Image removed by sender.

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

DISCLAIMER This e-mail and any attachments thereto may contain information which is confidential and/or protected by intellectual property rights and are intended for the sole use of the recipient(s)named above. Any use of the information contained herein (including, but not limited to, total or partial reproduction, communication or distribution in any form) by persons other than the designated recipient(s) is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender either by telephone or by e-mail and delete the material from any computer.
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
We respect and protect your privacy to provide you with our services. Please read https://www.hamon.com/customer-data-protection-notice (Customer) and https://www.hamon.com/seller-data-protection-notice (Supplier) how we process your personal data.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Jun 28, 2020, 2:14:03 AM6/28/20
to materials-welding
This is general engineering practice ( Indian boiler regulation required simulated heat treatment with 2or3 cycle to ensure the minimum it's) to ensure the mechanical properties after one or two times repair after heattreament of the product. Suppose after heattreament of product, while doing NDT ( especially alloy steel, heavy wall) found some defects. After repairs, if depth is more than allowed, u have to go again for heat treatment. Repeated cycle will reduce the mechanical properties.  While doing PQR, u have to envisage the expected cycle of repair work. If u expect 2or3, u have to extend the soaking time accordingly and base metal also.

ishwar kumar

Jun 28, 2020, 8:29:38 AM6/28/20
to material...@googlegroups.com

Dear Kiran

This requirement in ASME/AWS D1.1 is a supplementary essential variable and required when the construction code requires the component to be impact tested.

Generally we have the PQR PWHT time at temperature held long enough to cover 2 heat treat cycles of the thickest material to be welded. That way if we need to have a second heat treat cycle for any reason e.g weld repairs the welds are qualified. This is cheaper than having to re-qualify.

PQR must have the hold time so that it is at least 80% of the hold times used for production.  If the production welding will need 2 hours of hold time the PQR must have 80% of 2 hours = .8 x 2 = 1.6 hours. The PQR must also be held at temperature for the construction code minimum based on weld thickness.

Thanks & Regards
Ishwar Kumar

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

José Juan Jiménez Alejandro

Jun 28, 2020, 12:18:16 PM6/28/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Even ASME for some P numbers (section I and VIII Div. 1) allows you to make repairs with solder after the PWHT without having to repeat the PWHT, but it is only for some very specific P numbers with also very specific metal filler, that is  very little known but it is in the ASME code.

PastedGraphic-1.png

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Jun 29, 2020, 1:06:48 AM6/29/20
to materials-welding

Karthik

Jun 29, 2020, 2:31:45 AM6/29/20
to materials-welding
UCS-56 (f)

Thanks& Regards,

(Karthik)

Karthikeyan.S

E-mail : karthi...@yahoo.com

K K

Jun 29, 2020, 10:51:48 AM6/29/20
to Materials & Welding
Thanks all for your response to my query.

These requirements as per our contractor specification.
But I need clarification about normal PWHT ( As per B31.3 ) and 3 cycles PWHT, for time calculation.
Thanks once again.

Sourav Bohrays

Jun 30, 2020, 6:47:55 AM6/30/20
to material...@googlegroups.com

Sourav Bohrays

Jun 30, 2020, 6:47:59 AM6/30/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
dear i dont think so above mention time calculation is ryt

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Sourav Bohrays

Jun 30, 2020, 6:47:59 AM6/30/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
dnt mix 31.3 with asme ..these all point belongs to asme only dnt apply to b31.3  check before use

On Mon, 29 Jun 2020, 6:51 pm K K, <kara...@gmail.com> wrote:

Sourav Bohrays

Jun 30, 2020, 6:48:00 AM6/30/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
this is not code requirment

Sourav Bohrays

Jun 30, 2020, 6:48:00 AM6/30/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
read code properly multiple cycle is mention there but with interpretation

Sourav Bohrays

Jun 30, 2020, 6:48:02 AM6/30/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
mr kiran all ready you got your answer why you are not trying to understand creating new misunderstanding again n again.
see your requirment is not requirment of Asme its requirment of client on the basis of their experience client simply wants to know after doing heat treatment  3 times what property they are getting what is change in behaviour of material,weld  simply is there increase or decrease in prop he wants to know for that you also look at your tdc or mtc client asked for simulated plate also.
now lets talk about welding-
qw407.2 is only and only applies when your base metal / weld metal is not exempted from impact test.what code said in this clause
 heating,colling rate, time, temp is should be same as of wps during soaking period.
secondly if you have a any old wps which has same rate of heating,colling ,temp and wps time is 80% of time required in pwht for vessel.
now simply calculate time for single pqr what ever time you will get multiply it by 3 you will get total time for 3 cycle than take coupon heat it for a time required for 3 cycle no need of separte pqr for 3 cycle u can use 1 pqr and do testing on it .
this is simple and clear now for you

K K

Jun 30, 2020, 11:37:53 AM6/30/20
to Materials & Welding
Thanks, Sourav.

And thanks for your support, you have clarified my doubt.