Solid Tube Built up WPS/PQR

jaimin...@gmail.com

May 9, 2021, 11:46:41 PM5/9/21
to Materials & Welding
Dear Gents,

we have situation where client have some component like shaft/Tube Solid  of nickel Grade Material and on the surface they have some material loss.

They want to make grinding>welding>maching to restore the original configuration.

  1. Applicable Code ASME SEC. IX.
  2. Required welding max 5mm.
  3. Shaft Dia varies From 1" to 6"
  • Now as i see we can make WPS/PQR based on QW202.3.
  • But I m confused on selection of Base metal thickness and Grove what we need to suggest.
  • Client don't have metal sheets to make on PQR on that they have only Solid Tubes.

kindly give your value inputs on this regard's.
Thanks & Regards
Jaimin Patel
B.E Mechanical
ASNT NDT L-III(222210)
Email : jaimin...@gmail.com
Skype : jaimin0011
WHATSAPP : +919099018587

Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently. Henry Ford

udaya bhaskar

Jun 7, 2021, 12:59:55 AM6/7/21
to material...@googlegroups.com
Mr.Jaimin Patel,
fyi,
build‐up of base metal (restoration of base metal thickness):
This is the application of a weld material to a base
metal so as to restore the design thickness and/or structural
integrity. This build‐up may be with a chemistry different
from the base metal chemistry which has been
qualified via a standard butt-welded test coupon. Also,
may be called base metal repair or buildup.

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

With Regards

Udaya bahaskar.D

jaimin...@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2021, 10:26:44 PM6/14/21
to Materials & Welding
Dear Sir,

Thanks for your comment but my  question was for Test Coupon Size selection only not with Material, my client is not able to find 40mm plates to make Butt weld and make qualification for PQR and mechanical testing.

They want  us to Testing with Solid shaft on actual job but i m not sure this is way to do PQR specifically for ASME for Base Metal Buildup.

Thanks & Regards
Jaimin Patel