Leak test for HSD Fuel Tank

pras ari

Oct 13, 2015, 8:40:23 AM10/13/15
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sir,

Please advise me about leak test (hydro-test) of HSD Fuel Tank, I have 2 (two) tank with capacity 1400 KL, We will held Leak test but but site condition and around very difficult to get water as much as 2800 kilo liters.
Is any method for substitute leak test? may be NDT or pneumatic test?

Thanks & Regards
Winarko

Prakash Gotimukul

Oct 13, 2015, 8:57:45 AM10/13/15
to materials-welding
Pl refer UL 142 standard for deisel tanks

Rgds
G.Prakash
Independent Consultant, ASME/ISO/PED

hong ky Thai

Oct 15, 2015, 11:51:37 PM10/15/15
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Winarko,

You can conduct pneumatic test if only for leak test, but must be concerned to pressure not too high. Also difficult for find leak point (yo can use soap in water).

Best regards

Thaikyy

pras ari

Oct 15, 2015, 11:51:40 PM10/15/15
to Materials & Welding
Dear Prakash,

I use API 650, Is any others option for substitute leak test?

Thanks & Regards
Winarko

Oarag

Oct 18, 2015, 8:19:15 AM10/18/15
to Materials & Welding
Dear Winarko,

As per API 650, Please refer the alternative testing If sufficient water not available in the article 7.3.5 testing of shell, point no -2.

"2. If sufficient water to fill the tank is not available, the tank may be tested by (1) painting all of the joints on the inside with a
highly penetrating oil, such as automobile spring oil, and carefully examining the outside of the joints for leakage; (2)
applying vacuum to either side of the joints or applying internal air pressure as specified for the roof test in 7.3.7 and carefully
examining the joints for leakage; or (3) using any combination of the methods stipulated in 7.3.5, Subitems 1 and 2.

Regards,
Oarag.

Perumal Govindan

Oct 19, 2015, 12:42:47 AM10/19/15
to material...@googlegroups.com

Mr Winarko,

Please share the approved GAD from the Client to clarify further.

Hydro test is proof test, can not be waived off unless Client agrees. Require also calibration of settled liquid on the bottom plate slope.

Regards
Govin

pras ari

Oct 26, 2015, 12:13:16 AM10/26/15
to Materials & Welding
Dear Govin,

please find GAD attached.

Dear Oarag,

please give advise how much air pressure to leak test? our tank capacity is 1400 kL.

Thanks & Regards
Tank.pdf