PQR without impact test

raouf salhi

Mar 16, 2015, 2:41:24 AM3/16/15
to material...@googlegroups.com
 Dear expert ;

we have a WPS and PQR for A333 Gr 6 welded with ER 70S-3 and E7018 , the mechanical test in the PQR are only tensile test and bend test.

Our client didn't accept the PQR because is missing impact test and he ask to repeat all the PQR with all mechanical test ( with ER70 S-6 for better impact test result ).

it's possible to keep the PQR and to make only the impact test ( we can weld a 6" pipe according the WPS but with ER 70 S-6 and take specimens for impact test ). ????

Regards

SALHI Raouf
QA/QC Engineer

Tel: Morocco +212628979891
      Tunisia +21621458258

Don Under Survilliance

Mar 16, 2015, 2:53:56 AM3/16/15
to material...@googlegroups.com
yes u can use the same PQR.........while welding the monitor the parameters nd ensure it shud be with in the limits as mentioned in WPS.  AND SENT FOR iMPACT TEST,..
asme sEC- IX also permit this.

If ur client dont agree for that , u can go for all the best , it will earn trust & confidence of your client..moreover tensile and bend tests are not costly.

For your information and persuation.

With best regards,
Ajay Kumar kadyan

Anup N K E

Mar 16, 2015, 6:21:20 AM3/16/15
to material...@googlegroups.com

Dear All,

For impact test you need to consider all the supplementary essential variables. So if you want use the available PQR with additional impact testing using supplementary test coupon then you have to use ER 70 S - 3 (which was used in the original qualification ) . Refer QW 404.12 Section 1X.

Regards,

Anup

Alan Denney

Mar 16, 2015, 6:32:51 AM3/16/15
to material...@googlegroups.com

I understand that you are changing the welding consumables to obtain better toughness but want only to do the Charpy tests in the new WPQR. This has to be a waste of time and effort. Do a complete new welding procedure qualification, otherwise you will be arguing with your client for evermore.

John Henning

Mar 16, 2015, 11:13:28 AM3/16/15
to material...@googlegroups.com

Two assumptions:  1)  the applicable Code is ASME Section IX and 2) you are using GTAW to run the root and/or hot pass.

If the above is true, unfortunately, the answer is no – you will have to perform a complete qualification test.

Once you have impact testing as a requirement, you must apply the supplementary essential variables for the process.  For GTAW, one of the supplementary essential variables is QW-404.12.  This variable states that requalification is required when there is,  “A change in the filler metal classification within an SFA . . .”  The exceptions, (a) through (f) do not apply to your situation.

Good luck – hope this helps.

Gopalakrishnan G

Mar 16, 2015, 11:17:19 PM3/16/15
to material...@googlegroups.com