SS316 Welding - Porosity Intermittent

Raju Kandula

May 31, 2019, 9:01:01 AM5/31/19
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Experts,

   Our project (dosing tank) requires welding of SS316/316L plates of 5mm and 6mm Thickness, while welding of 6mm thickness with back weld, after welding on side-1 and back grinding from other end, we are observing porosity in the centre line with intermittent space during first and second phase. (attached LPT photo for reference)

   Kindly request, to advice your guidance for rectification.
Regards

Raju Kandula
WhatsApp Image 2019-05-31 at 3.42.13 PM.jpeg

Gopalakrishnan G

Jun 1, 2019, 12:58:47 PM6/1/19
to material...@googlegroups.com
Due improper baking of electrodes

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Babur Khan

Jun 1, 2019, 12:58:47 PM6/1/19
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mr. Raju,
Please share also welding process, after reviewing attached image my opinion is porosity due to contamination or poor cleaning. (As per picture it’s showing on edges)

Muhammad Babur Khan
Sent from my iPhone
--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787
<WhatsApp Image 2019-05-31 at 3.42.13 PM.jpeg>

Bgav Sampath

Jun 2, 2019, 1:44:17 AM6/2/19
to material...@googlegroups.com

I think it may be lack of root fusion could you send me welding procedure for further details. And I can help you

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

george keribo

Jun 21, 2019, 2:43:32 AM6/21/19
to Materials & Welding
Dear Expert,
My opinion is that the porosity is caused due to improper cleaning before welding, It occurred on the same line.

Vaishakh Kc

Jun 21, 2019, 4:23:19 AM6/21/19
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mr Raju,
Mention the welding process. I think the welding were done in a contaminated place.
Thanks and Regards
Vaishakh kc

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Vinay Thattey

Jun 23, 2019, 10:57:27 AM6/23/19
to material...@googlegroups.com
DEAR RAJU:
This porosity is most likely due to contamination or moisture content. Bake the electrode . Environmental control is also necessary . Use only quality electrode. for