can use P15E wps for P5B

JIJILAL K M

Jan 27, 2016, 4:01:20 AM1/27/16
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Experts,

We've to weld 4" x 6.02 mm  HRSG boiler piping joints (only 2 nos.).

Materials are   P5B + P8   ( ASTM A335 P5 + ASTM 304L SS) .

There is no such qualified  WPS.

instead we've a Qualified WPS  for P15E + P8   ( ASTM A335 P91+ ASTM 358  316L SS) .

Can we use this WPS using filler wire ER-309?

JIJILAL K.M.

Rejoy Thomas

Jan 27, 2016, 4:53:20 AM1/27/16
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Jijilal,
                 It is a strange fact that you have already qualified P15E+P8 with ER-309!! You have to use Inconel filler wire or Nickel based filler on this dissimilar metals, as per your requirement. And you have to check how you qualified the WPS, by buttering or by normal butt welding and PWHT. I am saying this because normally, we won't do PWHT to P8 materials because of high PWHT temperature, which may affect the paramagnetic properties of stainless steel.

Thanks & Regards

Rejoy Thomas
STF SpA

John Henning

Jan 27, 2016, 10:42:38 AM1/27/16
to material...@googlegroups.com

If your fabrication is governed by ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code the answer is unequivocally NO.  You need to perform a qualification with P5B and P8 materials.