Baking Electrods only one time, but how ?

madheswaran s

Jul 16, 2022, 9:04:56 AM7/16/22
to Materials & Welding
Dear Experts,

I have a question about baking of electrodes. spec or other says backing of electrodes only one time. Now my question is if i received electrodes carton box from manufacturer Like E7018 ok, If  baking the electodes then we maintain the elecrodes in holing oven the issuesd to welder for welding, If some electodes are not used , they are exposed in atmosperic condition about 8 hrs, In this case can i do baking again? or already once we backed the elecrode before issuing to welder, so we can't back again? because once only baking permitted. I dont know clear understand ? can anyone help this case.

Venkatachari Muralidharan

Jul 17, 2022, 12:50:18 AM7/17/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
1.Use manufacturers spec as put on the carton box for baking before use to start with.
2. While put on holding oven keep the temperature around 100degree C  and keep it warm.
3. Allow the welder to take from holding oven or issue minimum number of pieces to use.
4. When left out pieces collect and re dry in oven if the electrode is no damage or keep in holding oven for use.
5. You need to act according to condition / situation at place of work.
6. Ask for manufacture to get more input on drying  details how many time you can rebakeso that the coating will not peel off from core wire.

Sent from my iPhone

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Eyup Tan

Jul 17, 2022, 12:50:18 AM7/17/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
The electrode baking should be done at 300C for 1 hour. After the baking is completed, the electrodes should be stored in the holding oven at 100C.
The electrodes taken by the welder at 100C should be placed in a 100C thermos and kept constant at 100C in the field all the time.
Unused electrodes should be brought back and stored in the holding oven at 100C.

Best Regards,

Eyup Tan

On Sat, Jul 16, 2022 at 3:04 PM madheswaran s <madhe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Experts,

I have a question about baking of electrodes. spec or other says backing of electrodes only one time. Now my question is if i received electrodes carton box from manufacturer Like E7018 ok, If  baking the electodes then we maintain the elecrodes in holing oven the issuesd to welder for welding, If some electodes are not used , they are exposed in atmosperic condition about 8 hrs, In this case can i do baking again? or already once we backed the elecrode before issuing to welder, so we can't back again? because once only baking permitted. I dont know clear understand ? can anyone help this case.

Anthony Dalisay

Jul 17, 2022, 12:50:18 AM7/17/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Baking of lowhydrogen electrodes can be done 1 time only making sure that it will all be used in production welding, however if happen to have some leftover those can remain in the holding oven and make sure to use first in line, if not should be discarded rightaway.

On Sat, 16 Jul 2022 at 9:04 PM madheswaran s <madhe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Experts,

I have a question about baking of electrodes. spec or other says backing of electrodes only one time. Now my question is if i received electrodes carton box from manufacturer Like E7018 ok, If  baking the electodes then we maintain the elecrodes in holing oven the issuesd to welder for welding, If some electodes are not used , they are exposed in atmosperic condition about 8 hrs, In this case can i do baking again? or already once we backed the elecrode before issuing to welder, so we can't back again? because once only baking permitted. I dont know clear understand ? can anyone help this case.

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787
Anthony Dipasupil Dalisay
TWI AWeldI

abdul sayeed mohammed

Jul 17, 2022, 1:20:21 AM7/17/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear,
Most of client specifications and manufacture recommendations says vacuum pack electrodes are opened once after 8 hours it should be bake one time  at 300 to 350 dig C.
If they are returning those baked electrodes it should be discarded or can use for internal fabrication purpose.
Best Regards
Sayeed

On Sat, Jul 16, 2022 at 6:34 PM madheswaran s <madhe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Experts,

I have a question about baking of electrodes. spec or other says backing of electrodes only one time. Now my question is if i received electrodes carton box from manufacturer Like E7018 ok, If  baking the electodes then we maintain the elecrodes in holing oven the issuesd to welder for welding, If some electodes are not used , they are exposed in atmosperic condition about 8 hrs, In this case can i do baking again? or already once we backed the elecrode before issuing to welder, so we can't back again? because once only baking permitted. I dont know clear understand ? can anyone help this case.

Anilkumar G

Jul 17, 2022, 11:21:33 PM7/17/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
The electrode baking shall be as per the consumable manufacturer recommendations. This can't be generalised, we all know.
If customer specification allows baking more than once, at the same time if the electrode manufacturer is also ok for baking a second time, you can do it. Go for it.

On Sat, Jul 16, 2022 at 6:34 PM madheswaran s <madhe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Experts,

I have a question about baking of electrodes. spec or other says backing of electrodes only one time. Now my question is if i received electrodes carton box from manufacturer Like E7018 ok, If  baking the electodes then we maintain the elecrodes in holing oven the issuesd to welder for welding, If some electodes are not used , they are exposed in atmosperic condition about 8 hrs, In this case can i do baking again? or already once we backed the elecrode before issuing to welder, so we can't back again? because once only baking permitted. I dont know clear understand ? can anyone help this case.

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Jul 17, 2022, 11:21:33 PM7/17/22
to materials-welding
As abdul said, it is difficult to track the unsued electrode no of baking time. eventhough some spec or manufacturer allowing twice for baking and baked electrode at holding oven for 72 hrs. Better use it for nkn critical application only or scrap

srinivas rao

Jul 17, 2022, 11:21:34 PM7/17/22
to Materials & Welding
Dear  Madheswaran,
if re-baking is Permitted for one time only (your specified condidtion ). If found in quivers more than specified time or found exposed to air openly or found in cold disconnected quivers then they shall be discarded.

if re-baking allowed morethan one time as per manufacturer guidelines convence your client for re-baking and  such electrodes shall be identified by suitable color coding for tracability on rear stub ends. do the re-baking utilize for welding as usual or else u can use  electrodes for welder training / internal infra structure welding works.

Electrodes exposed to the atmosphere for periods less than those allowed by codes or manufacturer recommendations may be returned to a holding oven maintained at specified Temperature and time, after a minimum holding period the electrodes may be reissued

Thanks & Regards,
Srinivas Rao
Welding Engineer

james gerald

Jul 18, 2022, 1:32:41 AM7/18/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Initial Baking of Low H2 electrodes will be performed by the Electrode Manufacture in their plant. What actually you perform in your shop is rebaking/Baking and please verify with the Client their terminology used in Specification.

After exposure for 4/8 Hours based on client specification and manufacturer recommendation rebaking to be done. Normally practice is to Dip the stub end side of the electrode in Paint (various colours for first rebake & second rebake). Inform the Store Keeper to distribute only minimum quantities of paint marked electrodes to welders while they collect the electrode in their quiver from Holding oven say 10 electrodes and instruct the welders to consume the paint marked electrodes first and in this way you can control the next rebake.

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar