How to check Argon Gas Purity?

prabhu

Apr 3, 2014, 11:53:35 PM4/3/14
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

I my doing work on SS material 316L , ensurinig clean and dust free area and surface but enable to rnsure the Argon gas purity.
please guid me how to ensure the gas .
Or is there any divice to check the Argon gas impurities.

Maulik Thakkar

Apr 4, 2014, 8:18:54 AM4/4/14
to material...@googlegroups.com

You want to check which impurity?

Normally moisture/dew point need to be checked as per AWS 5.32. It should be less then 10.5 ppm.

To check moisture, dew point analyzer is available.

Regards,
Maulik
L&T, Welding engg. & Metallurgy

Richard robes

Apr 5, 2014, 7:11:41 AM4/5/14
to material...@googlegroups.com
Mr.Prabhu,

You can check with Argon gas meter / Analyzer for 99.9 % purity or as per WPS requirements. Hope it's clear.

Regards
Richard

kannayeram gnanapandithan

Apr 6, 2014, 11:14:11 AM4/6/14
to materials-welding
by using SHAW meter,u can check purity level

THANKS & BEST REGARDS
KG.PANDITHAN, AWS-CWI, CSWIP 3.1
CONSULTANT-WELDING & QUALITY

Vinayak

Jun 26, 2020, 11:35:40 AM6/26/20
to Materials & Welding
what is the instrument name to check purity.

On Apr 4, 2014 5:31 PM, "prabhu" <prabhuj...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear All,

I my doing work on SS material 316L , ensurinig clean and dust free area and surface but enable to rnsure the Argon gas purity.
please guid me how to ensure the gas .
Or is there any divice to check the Argon gas impurities.

The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Materials & Welding" group.

The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Materials & Welding" group.

james gerald

Jun 26, 2020, 11:08:32 PM6/26/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Argon purity certificate comes from the Argon gas manufacturer which will be cross checked with the Batch Number on the cyclinder.

During Welding we only measure oxygen content in ppm levels using oxygen analyser and mentioned in the WPS

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Materials & Welding" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/materials-welding/2b2c6a22-9f2c-4984-957c-4b0cebb443a0o%40googlegroups.com.

José Juan Jiménez Alejandro

Jun 27, 2020, 2:51:31 AM6/27/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
It would have to be analyzed in a laboratory, but that technology is held by the companies that sell gas, so they are a judge and part of that process, you have to put your trust in the gas company, for ASME IX, the WPS places the "Welding Grade" legend (you can ask an ASME Authorized Inspector), not something like Ar 99.998%, because you have no way to demonstrate that data.

--

Ing. José Juan Jiménez Alejandro

Independent Consultant in Parts

and Pressure Equipment

SSI-TPI

Móvil +52 1 812 352 4606

Skype: jjjimeneza

Karthik

Jun 27, 2020, 2:51:52 AM6/27/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Please find below the link might be useful to you.

https://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/gas-analyzers-measure-trace-impurities-in-argon-826546

(PA - GOW-MAC Instrument Company, a leading manufacturer of gas analyzers and compressed gas handling equipment, offers the process oriented Series AR710 and AR720 Gas Analyzers with High Frequency Argon Discharge Ionization Detector (HFADD). The analyzers are offered as turnkey systems designed and optimized specifically for the analysis of trace impurities (i.e., H2, N2, O2, CH4, CO and CO2) in argon down to the part-per-billion (ppb) range. Two configurations are available depending upon the impurities being measured. Sensitivities of < 15 ppb can be measured)

SHAW Meter also can be used.

Thanks& Regards,

(Karthik)

Karthikeyan.S

M: +66-892512282
E-mail : karth...@yahoo.com

Ashok Rai

Jun 27, 2020, 10:23:53 AM6/27/20
to material...@googlegroups.com

Hello;

Argon gas for shielding and purging during welding of SS and other corrosion resistant alloys including titanium

can be checked for purity by Weld Purge Monitors This instrument indicates the purity in pp or %age as required.

Huntingdon Fusion Techniques - UK are the pioneers in this field.See the link below:

In India contact www.weldwell.com exclusive distributor

Ashok Rai

Raja Varman

Jun 27, 2020, 10:24:08 AM6/27/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Normally you can get the Test certificate from the gas supplier about the purity of the gas.

Its enough to confirm the purity for WPS requirements.

என்றும் அன்புடன்,
Thanks & Regards,
RAJAVARMAN
+971561895584

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Materials & Welding" group.

james gerald

Jun 27, 2020, 11:31:36 PM6/27/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
The reason for having purity % in WPS is to check whether you use Single or mixture of gases which is an essential variable. Welding Grade Argon purity as per ASME Sec.IIC is 99.997%. In addition to this for Duplex & SDSS we mention the Oxygen ppm levels in the PQR & WPS

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar

Charles Jacob

Jun 28, 2020, 2:14:06 AM6/28/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear ,

In SFA 5.32 which gives the requirements for shielding gases, the requirement is to mention % composition to check if it is a single gas or mixed gas. So the code is not asking about the purity of the gas.
     Purity of the gas is mentioned seperately as 99.997 %. This is more of a procurement parameter rather than welding.
    As per my opinion, one should mention the percentage composition of the gas rather than purity in the wps format.

Regards,

Charles V Jacob.

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Jun 28, 2020, 12:18:15 PM6/28/20
to materials-welding

TRIVIKRAM

Aug 17, 2020, 1:18:06 AM8/17/20
to Materials & Welding
Dear All,

we are doing Aluminium alloy welding by (TIG) process, during welding we observed black mark around the welding for some argon gas cylinders.

Please suggest how to check the gas purity level and any instruments / gauge are available.

Thanks & Regards,

Trivikram

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Aug 17, 2020, 2:03:07 AM8/17/20
to materials-welding
Shaw meter available.
But always better weld in a piece and then proceed to job. Due to improper cleaning base metal also will result this black mark

THANKS & BEST REGARDS,
KG.PANDITHAN, BE, IWE,  CSWIP 3.1,
ISO 9712 Level 2 in VT,
ASNT-Level II in PT,MT,RT & UT,
LA ISO 9001-2015,
International Welding Engineer.
CONSULTANT-WELDING & QUALITY
Mobile no: +919940739349

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

PREM SHANKARDUTT NAUTIYAL

Aug 22, 2020, 11:58:10 AM8/22/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Shaw meter will only measure the dew point..

How to measure other impurities like moisture, oxygen, hydrogen, oxides of nitrogen, chlorine, sulphur, etc ?

Regards

Prem Nautiyal

PREM S NAUTIYAL
CELL : 9769316004

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

sheik dawood

Aug 23, 2020, 1:30:43 AM8/23/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear guys
If U stamp on a name plate  was rubbed and not traceable due to environmental condition on  a 15 Years old equipment running in a plant . what be a tracable one other than manufacturer dossier/data available or else any other equivalent stamp or options   mentioned as per ARAMCO.

K. Sheikdawood,
Plant inspector

The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Materials & Welding" group.

pgos...@rogers.com

Aug 23, 2020, 1:15:24 PM8/23/20
to material...@googlegroups.com

You may have a new nameplate stamped by the authorized inspection agency. Name plate data, manufacturer’s data report are a part of ASME design code requirements during fabrication. Vendor or the AI should have all these data available.  Manufacturer’s  serial number is a key information. This is mandatory, step No1.

NBIC, provides the options of transfer of stamp data in a new plate and/or re stamping of the vessel name plate . Read through  the options(some as highlighted) . You can’t do those on your own, that’s illegal? The AI has to be involved in the process.

Thnaks.

Pradip Goswami, P.Eng, IWE

Consultant-Welding-Metallurgical Engineering

Cell & Whatsapp-905-9793232.

Personal:pgos...@rogers.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Materials & Welding" group.

Name Plate- ASME BPVC.VIII.1-2019.pdf
Stamping and Nameplates.pdf

José Juan Jiménez Alejandro

Aug 24, 2020, 12:11:39 AM8/24/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
What exactly do you need? Your message is not very clear, I wish you had the Data Report in your possession.
Greetings!

Libre de virus. www.avast.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Materials & Welding" group.

Ing. José Juan Jiménez Alejandro

Independent Consultant in Parts

and Pressure Equipment

Móvil +52 1 812 352 4606

Skype: jjjimeneza

Libre de virus. www.avast.com

Sourav Bohrays

Aug 24, 2020, 12:11:39 AM8/24/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
go for MDR . your equipment number will be there .but not sure about validity of that equipment and document

PREM SHANKARDUTT NAUTIYAL

Aug 24, 2020, 1:26:31 AM8/24/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear All

Checking Impurities in Argon gas cylinder is still a secret with the Gas manufacturers.

We need to check following impurities in Ultra high pure Argon gas # CO2, CO, oxide of nitrogen, hydrogen, nitrogen, hydrocarbons, sulphur compounds, mercury, chlorine.

But all Argon gas manufacturers in India are able to check only dew point, moisture and oxygen .

Can anyone help please ..

Regards

Prem Nautiyal
Cell 9769316004