PQR for dissimilar material with dissimilar thickness.

Anandh Kumar

Feb 15, 2017, 2:43:03 AM2/15/17
to material...@googlegroups.com

Dear experts,
I seek ur advice on the subject. The details as follows,
We are supposed to do a nozzle extension internally on a vessel of 57 mm thick shell (shell material A516 gr. 70) which requires impact testing. The pipe used is 316L of thickness 3.76 mm. How many PQRs will be required to cover the thickness range with all pthee essential variables as identical.

Regards
Anandh kumar

VISHNUDAS MAVUNKASHERY

Feb 15, 2017, 5:19:09 AM2/15/17
to material...@googlegroups.com
i thnk above 13 mm thickness..it will get qualified for unlimited thickness

--
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/MaterialsWelding-122787?home=&gid=122787&trk=anet_ug_hm
The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.

VISHNUDAS MURALI MAVUNKASHERY

Prasad Rode

Feb 15, 2017, 8:29:19 AM2/15/17
to Materials & Welding
Dear sir,
What is existing pipe thickness, to which extension has to do.

Regards
Prasad

Anandh Kumar

Feb 15, 2017, 10:38:35 PM2/15/17
to material...@googlegroups.com
The existing nozzle is a forged fitting which was welded to the shell wall having the same thickness of 57 mm.

Regards
Anandh

Prasad

--
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/MaterialsWelding-122787?home=&gid=122787&trk=anet_ug_hm
The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.

dilintas

Feb 15, 2017, 10:38:35 PM2/15/17
to material...@googlegroups.com
Could you please send a sketch?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

George Dilintas

Feb 17, 2017, 9:44:13 PM2/17/17
to Meghanadh K
the qualification on a 13 mm thick sample with more than 3 layers applies to welder performance and not to PQR.
If the weld is a branch weld, then you have no a dissimilar thickness issue.
You should have a dissimilar thickness situation in case of a butt weld

Dr. Georgios Dilintas,
Dipl. Ing. In Aeronautic and Space Engineering
Ph.D in Mechanics of Solids - Computational Mechanics
A.I.S, A.N.I, IRCA Lead Auditor
Welding, Stress Analysis, Corrosion, QA/QC, Failure Analysis, Risk Analysis

Prasad Rode

Feb 19, 2017, 11:40:18 PM2/19/17
to Materials & Welding
See pqr qualification range in sec ix, it guide, u for pqr thickness qualification.