Pickling and passivation need before painting SS surfaces

Anilkumar G

Jul 26, 2022, 4:19:06 AM7/26/22
to Materials & Welding
Dear Experts

Do we need pickling and passivation of SS surfaces before painting them? Could you please suggest any specification relevant this requirement?
The parts are SS cast valves requiring painting.

Regards
Anilkumar

sajeed zaheer

Jul 26, 2022, 4:35:16 AM7/26/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
ASTM A 380

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Anilkumar G

Jul 26, 2022, 4:42:46 AM7/26/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dera Sajeed

A380 describes only pickling & passivation procedures in detail I believe, not about painting. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards
Anilkumar

sajeed zaheer

Jul 26, 2022, 4:46:30 AM7/26/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Anil Kumar,

Yes, you are correct ASTM A380 is only for pickling and passivation.

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Jul 26, 2022, 5:06:02 AM7/26/22
to materials-welding
Pickling and Passivation is important if it is subjected to corrosive environment , otherwise no need
THANKS & BEST REGARDS,
KG.PANDITHAN, BE, IWE,  CSWIP 3.1,
ISO 9712 Level 2 in VT,
ASNT-Level II in PT,MT,RT & UT,
LA ISO 9001-2015,
International Welding Engineer.
CONSULTANT-WELDING & QUALITY
Mobile no: +919940739349

srinivas rao

Jul 26, 2022, 5:06:02 AM7/26/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Pickling and passivation is  Not required  ,   because you are going for painting after completion of NDE but  for the process side (Accessible Root) you may need to perform if purging is not maintained properly. or any heat tints found unacceptable.

If you  painting is not involved ,  Yes, it is required to perform the  pickling and passivation of SS weldments 100% as due to heat generation  during welding the passivation layer will be damaged and may not be formed naturally, in general  Passivation will form naturally in air & it may take longer time to form for protection to occur. Before this period, passivation by using Chemicals may be carried out rapidly. as we are not checking for confirmation of the passivation layer formation.

 refer any client specifications Ex. DEP 30.10.60.18 / ADNOC specifications about this requirements for stainless steels  welds

Regards,
Srinuvasa Rao

james gerald

Jul 26, 2022, 5:06:02 AM7/26/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
I suppose you do sweep blasting before Painting and there is no purpose for Pickling and Passivation.

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar

Qualique External, Abdul

Jul 26, 2022, 5:06:02 AM7/26/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Hi ,

If there is no welding done on valves then I don't find any reason for the base material to undergo Pickling & passivation. Could you please confirm if your valve is made of SA 351 CF8M.

With Best Regards,
M.A.QUALIQUE

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

The information in this email and any associated files is confidential to Veolia Water Technologies (SASU) and/or any affiliate thereof and may be legally privileged. For the herein purposes, “affiliate” means any legal entity, partnership, joint venture, equity, company, including in particular any and all subsidiary which, directly or indirectly, controls Veolia Water Technologies (SASU) and/or is under the control thereof and/or is under the control of the ultimate parent company thereof, and “control” means the ability to directly or indirectly, direct the affairs of a third party by means of ownership, contract or otherwise. It may also contain information that is subject to copyright or constitutes a trade secret. It is intended solely for the named recipient. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized.

If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any use, disclosure, copying, distribution of this email or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on its prohibited.

Warning: Although this email and any attachment thereto are believed to be free from viruses, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are virus free. No responsibility whatsoever is accepted by Veolia for any loss or damage arising from their receipt or opening.

james gerald

Jul 26, 2022, 6:14:39 AM7/26/22
to 'james gerald' via Materials & Welding
Glass-Bead blasting is recommended for SS.

Thanks & Regards

J.Gerald Jayakumar

srinivas rao

Jul 26, 2022, 6:14:40 AM7/26/22
to Materials & Welding
when no welding or other heat applications on base metals  , no need to perfrom pickling and passivation
regards,
srinivas Rao

james gerald

Jul 26, 2022, 6:14:40 AM7/26/22
to 'james gerald' via Materials & Welding

sajeed zaheer

Jul 26, 2022, 6:47:31 AM7/26/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Pickling and passivation is to remove stains and rust.

raj susi

Jul 26, 2022, 7:49:10 AM7/26/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Anil.

I believe, Picking and Passivation are surface treatments, where no coating is involved,

Pickling is the process used to remove weld heat tinted layers from the surface of stainless steel fabrications, and Passivation is the process of restoring the damaged oxide layer to prevent corrosion in stainless steel.

if you are going for coating, you only need to do a blasting and continue with coating with appropriate grits and approved coating system.

regards
raj

james gerald

Jul 26, 2022, 11:33:15 PM7/26/22
to 'raj susi' via Materials & Welding

Sudhakar Kuppuswamy

Jul 27, 2022, 11:25:46 PM7/27/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
If the painting is applicable , picking and passivation is not required.

Regards,
Sudhakar K

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

Sudhakar K CEng MWeldI,IWE.

Welding & Metallurgical Engineer,

Email: sudhak...@gmail.com.

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Jul 27, 2022, 11:48:23 PM7/27/22
to materials-welding
Sweep sand blast and do painting, Pickling & Passivation not required

THANKS & BEST REGARDS,
KG.PANDITHAN, BE, IWE,  CSWIP 3.1,
ISO 9712 Level 2 in VT,
ASNT-Level II in PT,MT,RT & UT,
LA ISO 9001-2015,
International Welding Engineer.
CONSULTANT-WELDING & QUALITY
Mobile no: +919940739349

Anilkumar G

Jul 28, 2022, 11:59:27 PM7/28/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Experts

Thanks all for very valuable support.

There is an overlay welding involved in the body seat of the valve. Do we need pickling and passivation inside only in this case?

Outside there will be painting.

Regards
Anilkumar

Sudhakar Kuppuswamy

Jul 29, 2022, 1:44:22 AM7/29/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Yes, in the  below case it is required.

james gerald

Jul 29, 2022, 3:53:15 AM7/29/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Normally in the seat they apply stellite overlay  which is cobalt based for wear resistance. Only stainless steel can be pickled and passivated.

On Fri, 29 Jul 2022 at 7:59, Anilkumar G

kingslygeo vargheese

Sep 4, 2022, 10:02:56 AM9/4/22
to material...@googlegroups.com
Due to Stellite-6 / 21  overlay, the Heat transfer will be there in the SS part also.

1. Internal PP is required.
2. Based on the above External PP may get a waiver from the Client,