Using of ER70S-6 in place of ER70S-2

Ranendra Chakraborty

Jan 10, 2013, 1:43:36 AM1/10/13
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Expert,
Please guide whether ER70S-6 can be used in place of ER70S-2. Please give code reference.

Regards,
Ranendra

c sridhar

Jan 10, 2013, 9:18:58 AM1/10/13
to material...@googlegroups.com
Mr. Chakraborthy,

You have not given  the  process details. Is it MIG or TIG process.

In general:

For TIG process, we use ER 70S-2 for CS welding. The shielding gas used will be Argon. Radio graphic
quality is assured due to addition of Ti, Zn & Al which removes Oxygen  by forming faster oxides with it
along with Mn.& C. ER 70S-6 is available in spool form ( 15 kg  or so) and not used for TIG process as it
can not provide X-ray quality welds

For MIG process, ER 70S-6 is generally used with  Carbon-DI-oxide as shielding gas. ER 70S-6 has
excessive Mn & Si  (1.85 & 1.15 %  respectively) compared to 1,4 & 0.7 % in ER 70S-2 filler wire,
Additional Mn, & Si will remove oxides form CO2 gas to give good weld quality, but consistency to
provide x-ray quality is a question mark. ER 70S-2 could also be used but, only with Argon gas.

Sridhar.om: Ranendra Chakraborty <ranen...@gmail.com>
Jan 11, 2013, 12:17:16 AM1/11/13
to material...@googlegroups.com
Can be used provided if it is available in rod for TIG process.

Generally ER70S2 comes in rod form for TIG welding not in spool form for GMAW process because in GMAW process, Titanium gets oxidided in arc itself and purpose of Ti adding is lost, so it is not at all used in GMAW process.

ER70S6 comes generally in spool forms for GMAW process and if it comes in rod, it can be used in TIG process

Pandithan
Welding Consultant

nithind...@gmail.com

Jan 12, 2013, 11:48:15 AM1/12/13
to material...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

ER70S-6 has a higher mangnaese and silicon content giving this rod better tensile strength and smoother running characteristics then ER70S-2. Tensile strength is up to 88,000 psi. ER70S-2 is a triple deoxidized mild steel rod which will give quality welds on most grades of steel. Tensile strength if 77,000 psi.  Both are available in rod (GTAW) as well as spool form (GMAW). With respect to ASME Section IX, when using in place ER 70S-2, b sure u r checking the A No. of ER 70S-6, as sometimes the chemical composition varies. if its matching then you can use.
--
regards,
Dsilva

Sent from my iPhone

kannayeram gnanapandithan

Jan 16, 2013, 9:50:11 AM1/16/13
to material...@googlegroups.com
As per code, Minimum tensile value is 70000psi. It is not as stated in
the trailing mail. I do not think that ER70S2 is available in spool
and hope that manufacturer of welding consumable who are in this forum
may give their comments pl
Pandithan
Welding consultant

prem nautiyal

Jan 17, 2013, 10:37:50 AM1/17/13
to material...@googlegroups.com

On special request and order, consumable manufacturer can provide ER 70S-2 in spool form.
I have used ER 70S-2, size: 1.2mm in spool form for automated TIG applications in past.

Regards

Prem Nautiyal
9769316004

--- On Wed, 1/16/13, kannayeram gnanapandithan <kgpan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> materials-welding+unsub...@googlegroups.com

>>> For more options, visit this group's bolg at
>>> http://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
>>> http://www.linkedin.com/groups/MaterialsWelding-122787?home=&gid=122787&trk=anet_ug_hm
>>>
>>> The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views
>>> and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own
>>> decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views
>>> and meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own
>>> decisions w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.
>>
>> --
>>
>> The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and
>> meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions
>> w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.

> The views expressed/exchnaged in this group are members personel views and
> meant for educational purposes only, Users must take their own decisions
> w.r.t. applicable code/standard/contract documents.

Dindo

Jan 17, 2013, 9:03:17 AM1/17/13
to material...@googlegroups.com
I don not know where this is coming from, but here in our shop we have been using ER70s-2 in spool form for GMAW welding.

kannayeram gnanapandithan

Jan 21, 2013, 12:40:15 AM1/21/13
to material...@googlegroups.com
For TIG process it is accetable but not for GMAW process. Pl
understand the logic behind it which i have already explained

Pandithan
Welding Consultant

sanjeev singh

Sep 15, 2016, 2:28:25 AM9/15/16
to Materials & Welding
Please guide- If we add Ti in ER70S-6 in range of 0.011%, what will be the effect during CO2 welding?

regards,

Sanjeev

c sridhar

Sep 17, 2016, 8:09:35 AM9/17/16
to material...@googlegroups.com
You have not mentioned the welding process in use at your end

If it is TIG, flat no. as 70 S2 contains triple deoxidisers Al, ZN & Ti and used with argon gas.
ER 70S06 does not have them and will not give x-ray quality welds.

If it is MAG/CO2 process or with argon gas, you can go ahead.

Ti addition alone with 70 S6 do not help. S6 also contains excessive Mn & Si and not used for
TIG process.

Sridhar.

Sep 18, 2016, 8:06:04 PM9/18/16
to material...@googlegroups.com

Your comment on ER70S-6 is most certainly untrue.  GTAW with ER70S-6 will yield superbly clean welds and exceed all X-ray requirements provided the base metal is clean to start with.  The bonus is that ER70S-6 will have significantly better impacts than ER70S-2 especially when PWHT is required.  In my experience, welders seem to like the flow and wetability characteristics of the -6 over the -2.   The downside of -6 is that as the Mn and Si are higher, it is more difficult to reduce the hardness of the weld.  Also, to meet many petro-chem requirements for A1 chemistry limits for carbon steel filler metals, one often has to specify a maximum of 1.6% Mn and 1.0%Si.  This typically is not a problem for filler metal suppliers.

Triple deoxidized ER70S-2 is often preferred for the first pass of an open root joint.  But the presence of these deoxidizers leads to welds with far more inclusions (microscopic SONIMS) than with -6.  The plethora of SONIMS results in the overall poorer impact performance.

Enjoy -

Generally ER 70S6 is not coming in Rod forms unless specifically asked for and ER 70S2 is coming in coil form unless asked for it. Since pure argon is being used in GTAW, Mn and Si are to be controlled as John said, otherwise we may face hardness problem. If ER70S2 is in coil form, most of Ti will get deoxidized in the arc and less will get transfered to weld metal. Adding Ti to coil form will not give any yield

On 19-Sep-2016 5:36 am, "John Henning" <jhen...@deltak.com> wrote:

[...]

c sridhar

Sep 19, 2016, 6:09:58 AM9/19/16
to material...@googlegroups.com
Thank U Mr. John henning fo highlighting of S-6 for tig.
Sridhar

Sep 19, 2016, 10:57:52 PM9/19/16
to Meghanadh K
What are you saying doesn't make sense at all
Why you need deoxidizing agents in a process with inert shielding?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Sep 20, 2016, 12:15:11 AM9/20/16
to materials-welding
what Sridhar said is as per code recommendation. Triple deoxidiser is used to deoxidise any thing in the parent metal ,not in the fully arc stream. If we use ER70S6 as TIG rod, we have to be carefull in adjusting Mn and Si content in the wire, otherwise hardness of weldmetal will increase.

THANKS & BEST REGARDS,
KG.PANDITHAN, IWE,  AWS-CWI, CSWIP 3.1,
CONSULTANT-WELDING & QUALITY
Mobile no: +919940739349

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 9:15 PM, dilintas <dili...@gmail.com> wrote:
What are you saying doesn't make sense at all
Why you need deoxidizing agents in a process with inert shielding?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

George Dilintas

Sep 20, 2016, 1:42:11 AM9/20/16
to Meghanadh K
The A No 1 in the WPSs and PQR with ER70S-6 is a common finding during ASME joint reviews. In such cases just insert a note in the WPS on Mn and Si max content

[...]

Dr. Georgios Dilintas,
Dipl. Ing. In Aeronautic and Space Engineering
Ph.D in Mechanics of Solids - Computational Mechanics
A.I.S, A.N.I, IRCA Lead Auditor
Welding, Stress Analysis, Corrosion, QA/QC, Failure Analysis, Risk Analysis

sanjeev singh

Sep 20, 2016, 7:42:12 AM9/20/16
to Materials & Welding, sridh...@yahoo.com
in ER70S6 we have added Ti- 0.011% and Al - 0.012%. We are facing spattering issue in MAG-CO2 .
Is Ti and Al reason for spattering?

Sanjeev
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to materials-welding+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Diganta Sarma

Sep 20, 2016, 7:50:21 AM9/20/16
to material...@googlegroups.com, sridh...@yahoo.com
Ti and Al are added to act as additional deoxidizers to cleanse the weld of impurities. In the case of MAG welding, additional Ti and Al into the standard ER70S-6 isn't mandated. In case you need them in the weld pool, consider changing the transfer mode to spray or rotating arc or pulsed mode. Some of these will require change of gas to a Argon based mixture

Many thanks!

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to materials-weld...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/materials-welding/52b79f3f-41b6-475b-8d52-c277ae280bfd%40googlegroups.com.

Janette M

Jun 7, 2018, 11:27:53 PM6/7/18
to Materials & Welding
Hello,

I need help regarding the ER70S-6 mig welding wire. I am currently comparing mill certs from different vendors and not sure which one is the best in terms of quality. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Pieper QSI

Jun 8, 2018, 2:57:22 AM6/8/18
to material...@googlegroups.com
Most important is what kind of classification / certification is required for the wire and are the by manufacturer specified properties for the wire meeting your project requirements. If during WPQR qualification the requirements also comply with the requirements there is no need to investigate the chemical composition any further as long as the wire is an ER70S-6 wire on the certificate!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Materials & Welding" group.

PGoswami

Jun 8, 2018, 9:25:17 PM6/8/18
to material...@googlegroups.com, janett...@gmail.com

Hi Janette,

You may look at Sec-II, Pt-C, SFA 5.18, Annex, A-7 for broad descriptions of both type of consumables. ER-70S-6 is more formulated for GMAW, while ER-70S2 is more formulated for GTAW. ER-70S-6 contains more Mn and Si than ER-70S2.

A switch would be possible, when there’re no restrictions on the intended services such as :impact(notch toughness) or Environmental Assisted Cracking(EAC)as described in NACE RP-0472.

A few tips for wire shortlisting:-

·         Ensure chemical analysis and mechanical properties to SFA 5.18

·         Recheck the above with weld test pads as describes in SFA 5.18, if required.

·         Buy from reputed vendors and or authenticated suppliers.

·         Do not buy in loose packing or cut pieces from coils.

·         Ensure fillers are clean and free from any chemicals & mill rust and are uniformly coated to protect against rusting.

Thanks.

P.Goswami.P.Eng, IWE.

Welding & Metallurgical Specialist

Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/pradip-goswami-2999855/

Email:pgos...@quickclic.net,pradip....@gmail.com

Jun 8, 2018, 11:05:40 PM6/8/18
to Materials & Welding
Conduct required tests as per ASME BPVC Section-II Part-C and ASME BPVC Section-IX in addition to any applicable engineering specification for acceptance.

Janette Michelle

Jun 28, 2018, 11:18:27 PM6/28/18
to material...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your answers. After reviewing the material certs, they all meet the ER70S-6 standard, yet I have my welders saying that one brand of wire burns better over the other brand. What chemical component should I be looking for in terms of how good the wire burns?

https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

123 456

Jun 29, 2018, 3:09:10 AM6/29/18
to material...@googlegroups.com
It seems, some kind of trade secret really work behind this phenomena.