Impact test ASME b 31.3 ed. 2020

ROLANDO RC

Dec 9, 2021, 10:21:21 PM12/9/21
to Materials & Welding
Good afternoon, My name is Rolando and I just registered. The forum is excellent!

I bring the following doubt about the table Table 323.2.2 Requirements for low temperature toughness tests for metals ASME B31.3 2020

As we can see, it has a revision in table A-3 (b) (2020) where I understand that if I have a certified welding consumable with impact test I can exempt said test in the WPS qualification, for example:

If I have a SA-333 gr 6 material with manufacturing certificate and charpy according to the standard (18 J to -45), it can be welded with a consumable E 7018-1 certified by the factory with charpy (27 J to -45)
If I use this combination on my PQR, can I waive the impact test on my PQR weld? ... assuming I already have a metal base and a factory crash tested consumables certificate? (then I interpret table 323.2.2 table A-3 does not speak of the ZAC)

greetings and thanks!

Mhaskar Aly

Dec 9, 2021, 10:58:08 PM12/9/21
to material...@googlegroups.com
Hi
Impact test is supplementary essential variable; you need to qualify WPS for this if impact test is applicable to your Job as per Design.

Once you demonstrated impact properties with any combination of base metal and filler metal on PQR, then in production joints it will be waived.

Only when PTC us applicable as pet Code, you need to do additional tests.

Mhaskar Ali
Dubai

--
https://materials-welding.blogspot.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/122787

ROLANDO RC

Dec 10, 2021, 6:30:08 AM12/10/21
to Materials & Welding
hi i agree ..... but if i use the code exceptions using impact certified base materials and consumables cooler than design i can avoid impact testing on my PQR right?
Thank you

Mhaskar Aly

Dec 12, 2021, 2:50:14 AM12/12/21
to material...@googlegroups.com
If Design says...impact test is exempted; then you can use non impact wps pqr.

Mohd Siraj

Feb 7, 2022, 4:18:24 AM2/7/22
to Materials & Welding
just adding,

for PQR qualification, impact test cant be exempted if require by service, there are many discussions in the forum,
by providing MTC of consumable, " YOUR CONSUMABLE JUST ELIGIBLE TO WELD OR USE" for said applicable.

based on consumable MTC or base metal MTC, you cant just get a waiver in PQR.

purpose of PQR to check all combinations of base metal+ consubamble+welder+machine are able to produce the desired results.

Kannayeram Gnanapandithan

Feb 7, 2022, 10:20:36 PM2/7/22
to materials-welding
if ur requirement for HAZ also, then u have to test again, otherwise no

THANKS & BEST REGARDS,
KG.PANDITHAN, BE, IWE,  CSWIP 3.1,
ISO 9712 Level 2 in VT,
ASNT-Level II in PT,MT,RT & UT,